Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

How's your drive feeling at high speed??

+33
stalejive
Fortessimo
Bed
zleipnir
FriesL
S.C
lwlty
Zeed
dinkodink
alex86
ace
jl1500k
ozzie75
scorpey
rockstarforte
Divine
zaf
ano57
saturnz^83
melburn
tiny
muff
keigo
Fortec
Terrier
Cypher
balonglong_1979
ForKia
tish
hobbes
dipstick
K-Family
kapitan
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty How's your drive feeling at high speed??

Post by kapitan 16th June 2009, 5:08 pm

I am asking this question because I feel there is room for improvement to the Forte, when travelling at high speed, which I mean more thne 130km/h....

Was on the NSH and felt that the car is affected by cross wind, felt as if car "swerved" left or right momentarily... have to hold on to steering....

I seriously think the Forte is too high, definitely needs lowering......

Anyone experienced the same?
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty Re: How's your drive feeling at high speed??

Post by K-Family 16th June 2009, 5:27 pm

kapitan wrote:I am asking this question because I feel there is room for improvement to the Forte, when travelling at high speed, which I mean more thne 130km/h....

Was on the NSH and felt that the car is affected by cross wind, felt as if car "swerved" left or right momentarily... have to hold on to steering....

I feel the chassis is not rigid enough as I can sense some flexing of the body when it hits a bump at high speed.

Also the steering feel and response does not instill confidence when driving fast. MDPS isn't for sporty drives.

Forte is best suited for cruising at 90~100kmh. Less noise from road and very comfy.

K-Family

Back to top Go down

How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Empty Re: How's your drive feeling at high speed??

Post by dipstick 16th June 2009, 5:33 pm

At the end of it all, even with the low profile tires, Bk and sporty body shape and other go-faster add-ons, we must not forget that the Forte sedan is primarily a family sedan.

dipstick

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbes 16th June 2009, 6:07 pm

kapitan, you felt the same too?

i was about to ask cos i was up in malaysia last week. felt the steering swerved left and right when i reached 150km/h and it was in a non-windy area. before that it was raining and i could see trees swaying hard, so i expected the strong crosswind. but when i was on a clear stretch of road, the steering was not firm at all, even with the 17" tyres.

possible to tighten the electronic steering? i thought it should get firmer at high speed.

hobbes

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 16th June 2009, 6:12 pm

Maybe its the cross wind, maybe tires need change, maybe needs lowering, maybe this .. maybe that, but one word of advice, for those not use to going above 130km/h, best to slow down, going at 110/120 km/h is very comfortable... and in rain, please stay at about 100 km/h or down to even 70km/h...... skidding on the NSH will probably be the last time you will drive......

I hope this thread won't end up in other forums saying that Forte is unstable at high speed.... btw, all highways in Korea have speed camera, and speed limit is at most 110 km/h.

hobbes, don't believe it has anything to do with the steering....
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 16th June 2009, 6:46 pm

kapitan wrote:I am asking this question because I feel there is room for improvement to the Forte, when travelling at high speed, which I mean more thne 130km/h....

u need some bars!!
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 16th June 2009, 6:48 pm

tish wrote:

u need some bars!!

Bars with whiskey or strut bar??

Well, looks like I will be getting one soon, before my next drive up to Muar...
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by ForKia 16th June 2009, 6:56 pm

this is a concern for those who are not use to the light steering wheel (like me). Did anyone check with KIA svc guy if the MDPS can be adjusted?

ForKia

Back to top Go down

Post by balonglong_1979 16th June 2009, 7:33 pm

Camber the front wheels.

Steering will feel heavier and more responsive + Cornering will improve.
Although tyre wear will be slightly faster.

balonglong_1979

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 16th June 2009, 8:08 pm

but i tot the fast we go, the electronic steering will stiffen ?
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher 16th June 2009, 8:24 pm

balonglong_1979 wrote:Camber the front wheels.

I thought all wheels have camber.
Cypher
Cypher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher 16th June 2009, 8:26 pm

balonglong_1979 wrote:Camber the front wheels.

I thought all wheels have camber.
Cypher
Cypher

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrier 16th June 2009, 8:59 pm

Hope this link helps

http://e-revmotorsports.com.sg/Ultra%20Racing%20Home%20Page.htm

After reading it and you will know why tiny and me are so into Ultra Racing product even though they are Made in Msia. FYI we preferred UR more than ORG Forte Strutbar..

UR still developing those bars for forte.. hopefully they will able to produce real soon and we can start GB for it..
Terrier
Terrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 16th June 2009, 10:17 pm

That's too many bars liao! Overkill a family sedan leh!
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 16th June 2009, 10:19 pm

for me.. I'm going for adjustable strutbar...
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrier 16th June 2009, 10:50 pm

haha fortec.. take the bar which suits u.. not build everything.. if build all is just like RALLY car already.. Imagine Forte go for rally.. hmm..
Terrier
Terrier

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 16th June 2009, 10:54 pm

keigo wrote:for me.. I'm going for adjustable strutbar...

bro, any pic ?
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 16th June 2009, 10:56 pm

muff wrote:
keigo wrote:for me.. I'm going for adjustable strutbar...

bro, any pic ?

Err currently don't have... my fren show me his.. and he will be bringing me to his workshop to mod my forte once I run in..
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbes 16th June 2009, 11:27 pm

but will a strut bar help in cruising? in cornering i know it certainly adds stability, but for highway driving, will it make a difference?

anyone has insights on this?

hobbes

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 16th June 2009, 11:53 pm

Depends on which strut bar. Front suspension strut, front lower tie bar, mid body tie bar, rear suspension strut, rear lower tie bar. Of course add all will increase stiffness tremendously, but at silly cost and alot of added weight.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 17th June 2009, 12:01 am

actually my fren when test drive the forte, he told me just add front strut bar will do... should be more then enough for cornering...

imagine when we test drive we trying 80km cornering... lolz.. my SE scare will holding on to the handler...
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by melburn 17th June 2009, 12:09 am

Im nt sure about the SX steering but for me my EX hydraulic steering wheel feels quite stable even at ard 110km/h.

Mayb its bcoz of my 225/40R17 tyres also, can any EX owner cfm this? Anyway mine is still stock, no strut bar installed.

Very Happy
melburn
melburn

Back to top Go down

Post by saturnz^83 17th June 2009, 12:27 am

melburn wrote:Im nt sure about the SX steering but for me my EX hydraulic steering wheel feels quite stable even at ard 110km/h.

Mayb its bcoz of my 225/40R17 tyres also, can any EX owner cfm this? Anyway mine is still stock, no strut bar installed.

Very Happy

Mine using 215/50/R17, travelling even at 120km/h also still stable..also no strut bar installed..
saturnz^83
saturnz^83

Back to top Go down

Post by balonglong_1979 17th June 2009, 12:45 am

this "crosswind effect" affects all cars. the lighter the car, the more significant the effect (car like swerving)

just overtake a lorry or bus at e.g. 120kmh on the NSHW. you will feel it immediately. (faster will feel even stronger effect)

it's nothing to be concerned about really.

balonglong_1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 17th June 2009, 12:53 am

The effect is even more strong if the lorry is coming from the opposite direction when both are traveling at high speed.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 17th June 2009, 12:54 am

Terrier wrote:haha fortec.. take the bar which suits u.. not build everything.. if build all is just like RALLY car already.. Imagine Forte go for rally.. hmm..

I am happy with a chocolate bar liao ^^.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by ano57 17th June 2009, 2:12 am

tish wrote:but i tot the fast we go, the electronic steering will stiffen ?

U think honda CBR 1000 Electronic Steering damper ah?

bo la....
Strut bar should be good
Coupling with lowering kit....

Adds weight and kills ya FC more..but if u hardcore tourer..... it'll do u some good.
ano57
ano57

Back to top Go down

Post by zaf 17th June 2009, 8:50 am

Besides the weight, speed and shape of the car, the prevailing wind speed and direction is an important part that causes the crosswind effect. Even when I was driving an MPV with 6 people inside with luggage, I could also feel the crosswind effect when travelling at 130kmh on NSH.
zaf
zaf

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbes 17th June 2009, 10:43 am

melburn, we got the same set of wheels! Very Happy

melburn wrote:Im nt sure about the SX steering but for me my EX hydraulic steering wheel feels quite stable even at ard 110km/h.

Very Happy

hobbes

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 17th June 2009, 10:45 am

look like stock tyre cannot run more then 100km/h
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 17th June 2009, 11:18 am

balonglong_1979 wrote:this "crosswind effect" affects all cars. the lighter the car, the more significant the effect (car like swerving)

just overtake a lorry or bus at e.g. 120kmh on the NSHW. you will feel it immediately. (faster will feel even stronger effect)

hmmm bros just to comfirm this cos the "crosswind" is cos by wind blowing about 90 degrees to ur direction of travel. overtaking a lorry is not crosswind in effect but air turbulance. pai seh bro correct u abit. if u are observiant enough u will see NSW some part got wind sock 1.. these are dangerous crosswind area cos by terrain differential.. becareful cos cross wind can in some point flip ur car if ur travelling too fast and ur car is too light..
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 17th June 2009, 11:22 am

i using 215 50 R17 with strut bar. tried 140.. the car feels floating. steering is rigid but very sensitive. well overall the car is too light and high to travel at that speed, maybe after lowering the car it will handle high speed better.
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by rockstarforte 17th June 2009, 11:48 am

Terrier wrote:haha fortec.. take the bar which suits u.. not build everything.. if build all is just like RALLY car already.. Imagine Forte go for rally.. hmm..

Forte did go for rally liao..

http://www.ceratoforte.forumotion.com/relax-chit-chat-corner-f4/our-forte-in-rally-mobil-santiago-t556.htm
rockstarforte
rockstarforte

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpey 17th June 2009, 11:50 am

i think if @ high speed (more than 130kmh) and strong crosswind condition.. most jap/kr cars will tend to sway.. hence with strut bars, wider tyres, lowering body etc will definitely improve the condition.. but i really hope this is the case and not some inherent fault in forte's MDPS.. jus my 2c worth Razz
scorpey
scorpey

Back to top Go down

Post by rockstarforte 17th June 2009, 11:51 am

Terrier wrote:Hope this link helps

http://e-revmotorsports.com.sg/Ultra%20Racing%20Home%20Page.htm

After reading it and you will know why tiny and me are so into Ultra Racing product even though they are Made in Msia. FYI we preferred UR more than ORG Forte Strutbar..

UR still developing those bars for forte.. hopefully they will able to produce real soon and we can start GB for it..

Im in for UR bars!!
rockstarforte
rockstarforte

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpey 17th June 2009, 12:17 pm

Yah.. UR struct bars look more convincing and sturdy.. wonder wats the damage like.. btw as i have not get my ride yet.. u guys think anti roll bar necessary for forte?
scorpey
scorpey

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 17th June 2009, 12:21 pm

hmmm tiny seems like UR BARS are getting popular.. maybe can arrrange a group buy soon? =)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 17th June 2009, 3:26 pm

Not my bar lah..it's not like i produce them. I am beginning to agree that the car does feel abit high at the curves around the ECP by the IR project. Hmm..but without the bodykit installed yet, I'm quite worried that a 20-30mm height drop from lowering springs might be too much for the car..

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 17th June 2009, 8:14 pm

balonglong_1979 wrote:this "crosswind effect" affects all cars. the lighter the car, the more significant the effect (car like swerving)

agree with bro balonglong on "crosswind effect".....once drove a Toyota MPV along coastline in Aust at about 110 kmh and I can remember that for the vehicle to move straight I actually got to turn steering wheel at almost 90 degree (one hand at 11 o'clock and the other hand at 5 o'clock position)....... just to keep it going straight pale but thinking back i really should have just slow down instead........ tongue
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by ozzie75 17th June 2009, 9:38 pm

Very Happy

I tried going about 120km/hr after collecting the car 3 weeks ago, which was on stock kumho 215/45/R17. I did see the difference after changing the tyres to goodyear 225/45/R17 4 hrs later, and running on the same speed. I do believe the profile and the road grip of the tyres do play a part. I do occasionally go up to 120km/hr on Singapore roads and have to say that road handling is stable. 1.26 tonnes for our car is fairly weighty to provide stability, and it's not far away from the Golf MK 6 with a weight of 1.28 tonnes.

ozzie75

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 21st June 2009, 1:11 am

IMO, having pushed this car hard on a number of occasions, it just doesn't give me the confidence to push it any further..........but this is the best value car to bring you from point A to B.......remember that we only paid for a family sedan......

BTW I'm riding on 16" Ex manual.....

but you can also improve the ride at high speed by adding on those after market products that will enhance your ride like better rim & tyres, filters, bars, coils, etc.....
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 21st June 2009, 4:22 pm

ozzie75 wrote:

Very Happy

I tried going about 120km/hr after collecting the car 3 weeks ago, which was on stock kumho 215/45/R17. I did see the difference after changing the tyres to goodyear 225/45/R17 4 hrs later, and running on the same speed. I do believe the profile and the road grip of the tyres do play a part. I do occasionally go up to 120km/hr on Singapore roads and have to say that road handling is stable. 1.26 tonnes for our car is fairly weighty to provide stability, and it's not far away from the Golf MK 6 with a weight of 1.28 tonnes.

not sure about cars.. but when i change bike tyre, recommend to ride normally for 300km for new tyre to run in and wear off the wax surface before doing cornerings... will result to no grip n skid... Shocked
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 18th October 2009, 12:03 pm

Yesterday went to Melaka for one day trip and tested forte (SX Manual) at 160km/hrs speed for less than 30sec and feel the car is light so switch back to 130-140km/hrs and the tyres is noisy and particular at some road surface even more noisy. Those malaysia car are hell rider even i drove at 140-150km/hrs also must give way to them i think they drove at more than 160km/hrs.

So when you are at right lane better check rear mirror every 10 sec and sometimes forgot to check those hell rider will drove untill going to torch your backside.

At certain area have to keep to road limit becos there are blood sucker hinding behind the tree wth speed camera. I saw one SG EVO kena park at road side when i passby the police road block/check area when going toward Melaka.

Before going back to SG from Melaka went to Muar and Batu Pahat for local and seafood. Total travel distant is 500km. How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Icon_pale

Last edited by jl1500k on 18th October 2009, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 18th October 2009, 12:07 pm

If you have notice, once you cross the border from Johor into Melaka, the road noise level increases, this is because of the road surface..... between Johor and Selanger, the roads are bitumen, while Melaka is using a different road surface, it is concrete.... think same for state of Perak...
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by ace 18th October 2009, 2:04 pm

The issue for me is that I like to drive on the right lane on the NSE between Johore and Melaka because the right lane is much smoother than the left as the left have more potholes and wear and tear...probably from those heavy vehicles like lorries. But agreed have to check rear mirror and avoid "quarrelling" with the local speedsters. How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Icon_lol We are visitors mah.. How's your drive feeling at high speed?? Icon_tongue

ace

Back to top Go down

Post by alex86 18th October 2009, 2:40 pm

currently driving a 1.6L EX(A). done 900km only.

During normal driving, my car tends to sway left when i let go of steering wheel.
When driving around 90 Kmph, my steering wheels starts vibrating.

Anyone got the same as above?

1 thing i like abt this car is thatwhen im driving around 100-110, it feels much better than honda civic. It feels more stable whereas civic tends to make me feel like its floating.

alex86

Back to top Go down

Post by dinkodink 18th October 2009, 2:55 pm

i used to have the swaying to the left problem... but was rectified during my first servicing...
dinkodink
dinkodink

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeed 18th October 2009, 4:00 pm

My mum was particular with me driving @ high speeds. But when in msia, i hit 160 on North-South Highway, mum didnt complain or asked me to slow down. She didnt felt anything, while, me, the driver, SHIOK! speeding on the roads. Car noisy abit but probably because of the wind resistance.
Zeed
Zeed

Back to top Go down

Post by lwlty 18th October 2009, 4:14 pm

alex86 wrote:currently driving a 1.6L EX(A). done 900km only.

During normal driving, my car tends to sway left when i let go of steering wheel.
When driving around 90 Kmph, my steering wheels starts vibrating.

Anyone got the same as above?

1 thing i like abt this car is thatwhen im driving around 100-110, it feels much better than honda civic. It feels more stable whereas civic tends to make me feel like its floating.

Go tyre shop check blancing .

lwlty

Back to top Go down

Post by S.C 18th October 2009, 4:38 pm

Zeed wrote:My mum was particular with me driving @ high speeds. But when in msia, i hit 160 on North-South Highway, mum didnt complain or asked me to slow down. She didnt felt anything, while, me, the driver, SHIOK! speeding on the roads. Car noisy abit but probably because of the wind resistance.

your mum too stunned to talk liao hahha Shocked

S.C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next