Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Sudden Loss of Power Steering

+12
cboonh
Duser
city_snap
scorpey
joepele
FriesL
keigo
tish
Divine
soundphile
koayst
duncton
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sudden Loss of Power Steering - Page 2 Empty Re: Sudden Loss of Power Steering

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 10:02 pm

thanks bro fortec too..
yeah.. that what i thought... it doesnot make sense.. to have such a fragile link in between... Brakes too... at the very least.
cheers

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 10:05 pm

Fortec wrote:
FriesL wrote:Woo.. thanks duncton!
haa.... this is important.. should try to see my confident in doing that... when i get my ride (hopefully wont break anyparts..haaa... )...

Don't try it on steep gradient hor....ur legs no power don't blame me haha....(have ur hand brake on the ready).
Best just do whatever u are most comfy with.

haaa... dun worry...
i drove some of the tank like unassisted steering.. before.. lol!

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 23rd July 2009, 1:51 pm

wow i'm learning alot from this thread.... this is the power of forum... discussion n knowledge sharing...
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 23rd July 2009, 11:44 pm

Ok bros, reporting status of my baby's check-up.

Well I went in at 10am, collected at around 2.30pm.

This is the conclusion (sort-of):

For the loss of power steering issue. They said that they have tried to simulate in all the ways that I described, but could not replicate the problem. It is electrical power steering, so they also cannot visually see anything wrong. Finally, they ran a electronic diagnostic test. After running the test, only a fault number (or fault code) was flagged out. Therefore, due to this fault code, they decide to change the steering column assembly as a precaution. An order was made and CnC shall call me when the part is in. Thats all.

I also reported about the cracking sound when I turn the wheel. They also lubricated the clock spring. Can't hear the cracking sound for now. Some folks asked what is a clock spring, so I put a description below for reference.

The clock spring is the name given to the wiring in the steering column that goes to the steering wheel. The steering wheel on many vehicles today is a control console in itself. The horn, cruise control, air bag and, in some cases, radio controls are contained in the steering wheel. To allow for this there is a coil of wire that looks somewhat like a clock spring (that’s where the name comes from) that contains all the wires necessary to allow the systems on the steering wheel to work.
The wire winds up and down as the steering is turned from left to right, etc....

Conclusion is all should be alright lah... hehe.... haiz ....used up 5 hours of my time, but at least got some peace in mind in return.

duser and cboonh, do feedback if their diagnotics/resolution is different hor. thanks ah!
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 23rd July 2009, 11:47 pm

Thanks! Tmw I am going to LK.Took the first morning slot..hopefully end before 12pm. WHere you hang out in between? But replacing of steering column assembly sounds serious.

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 24th July 2009, 12:03 am

you can hangout at the showroom if you like, free cookies, got espresso machine for free espresso/cappucinno/milo/hot cocoa...

but if you like, u could go ikea for a walk. its walking distance.

outside CnC, u could also take a bus 33 or 51 to queensway shopping centre Macdonald. Quite empty and peaceful. cross the road and take other direction, same bus number.... brings you to city area.... aiyah, plenty of places to roam. Smile

dun eat at the cafeteria,.... lousy food, coffee, everything..... oh, only the mistubishi car owners get free meal at the cafeteria. KIA quite cheapo.... got to pay for everything at the cafeteria. drink free coffee downstairs better.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 24th July 2009, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the update bro duncton..
yeah.. pls update us of the final diagnostic.. btw.. do you happen to remember the fault code.??.. i think maybe we could find the description from the online service manuals?

Thanks everyone for sharing..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 24th July 2009, 6:04 pm

OK! Just got back from LK. Send in this morning and collected it at like after 2pm.... The EPS thingy, the service adviser informed me that they will need to replace the electric motor. They diagnosed it according to the fault code. Will call me when the parts are in which will be in a week time.

Last edited by Duser on 24th July 2009, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 24th July 2009, 6:27 pm

wah... motor?
then its another club liao.. Shocked

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 24th July 2009, 6:29 pm

I did a search online and the EPS does use an electric motor to assist in it. Some other manufacturer also use similar concept. I may be wrong though. But at least whatever it is causing, I really hope it be replaced.

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 24th July 2009, 6:57 pm

If they can determine it's that fault that is...
Smile
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 24th July 2009, 7:03 pm

Seems that there could be a probably more than one fault that is causing this EPS thingy...

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 24th July 2009, 10:51 pm

The fault codes are generated from running the diagnostic tool (like a computer). there could be any kind of fault code depending on what the diagnostic tool detected.

I do not know what is the fault code for mine leh, so can't check with the service manual. But the part that needs to be changed for mine is not the motor.

According to the engineer, the part that needs change as a result of my fault code is the steering column assembly.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 24th July 2009, 11:48 pm

OH... different fault parts.... another worry..
i just comes across some spec list stating forte MDPS is only optional for SX model in UK/US and standard comes with engine / speed sensing Rack & pinion...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 25th July 2009, 2:16 am

duncton wrote:The fault codes are generated from running the diagnostic tool (like a computer). there could be any kind of fault code depending on what the diagnostic tool detected.

I do not know what is the fault code for mine leh, so can't check with the service manual. But the part that needs to be changed for mine is not the motor.

According to the engineer, the part that needs change as a result of my fault code is the steering column assembly.
bro, glad to hear they did something to make sure the "faulty" item was replaced with a good one... at least u know the possibilities of the defect are replaced.... thumbsup
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrier 25th July 2009, 2:25 pm

Fortec wrote:Switched off the car when coming down from Lido Carpark last night level 10. The natural gradient of the CP allows me to juz glide it down all the way to the gantry.

Steering is as per non assisted steering, hard n heavy.

u wont save much petrol with such short distance.. so why risk your life or your beloved forte..
Terrier
Terrier

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 25th July 2009, 2:39 pm

Thanks tish. From a safety standpoint, I also think the "fault" may not be the actual one. But it confirmed two things:

#1 - Apart from the fault found, the diagnostic seemed to say all else is working fine.

#2 - Even if the faulty item may not cause the power steering problem, no harm changing it as a preventive measure before it really cause any problems. Its FOC anyway!! keke...

I asked the service engineer about the diffent types of power steering. He merely said that its just specs and just a matter of paying for a higher or lower specs. So I followed up by asking what are the Fortes that have EPS and which are the ones that are hydraulic. His reply was those with drum brakes at the rear are mostly hydraulic power steering wor... I have my doubts about this way of differentiating..... so dun believe it 100%
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 25th July 2009, 2:46 pm

Terrier wrote:
Fortec wrote:Switched off the car when coming down from Lido Carpark last night level 10. The natural gradient of the CP allows me to juz glide it down all the way to the gantry.

u wont save much petrol with such short distance.. so why risk your life or your beloved forte..

hi, bro Terrier
it was nice for bro fortec to try and update us of that,
what if the power assist fail in the middle of the road.." at least we now confirmed we will able to steer the car still.. to could at least in control...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 25th July 2009, 3:25 pm

Terrier wrote:

Hmm, fyi I m driving a manual car, with so many cars jamming all the way down, I will juz be on neutral anyways...even with the engine on. See my point?

Besides, off engine means use less petrol means less pollution contribution to our beloved planet. I off my engine at traffic lights too fyi.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 26th July 2009, 12:08 am

at traffic lights? bro, tot start / stop engine consume much more fuel?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 26th July 2009, 12:19 am

FriesL wrote:at traffic lights? bro, tot start / stop engine consume much more fuel?

Not at all traffic lights, if u know u gonna stop for more than 30secs, it's ok to off the engine. Start engine consume approx 5-10sec of idle fuel.
Every 1min-2min of idle approx 1-2km of fuel generally.

Assuming U idle the car everyday for approx 5mins before u move off, that's about 3-5km a day....a week will be around 21-35km...a month will be about 80-140km!!! That's about $8-$15 worth of fuel juz idling away.

Red lights approx 10 times a day(probably more), little bits add up.

Point is do our part to reduce pollution! Tedious yeah...but someone got to get it rolling...why not U?
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 26th July 2009, 1:38 am

Good point! really.. may try this..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 26th July 2009, 2:11 am

save the planet convert all forte to electric???? =x ohoh fuel cell =)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by Aloysius 31st July 2009, 2:05 am

FriesL wrote:Hi, bro duncton
was confirmed by SE that EX comes with hydraulic steering.

probably its seems the down down side of EPS is the missing road feel. not the technology, thus users really dun like it.

but what concern me is the ability to steer without power assist and that is very very important. think its super heavy maybe we need to drive thru all the gears and the motor it self..

now comes to mind is to verify if bro Fortec is driving a SX model (EPS)...

Hi guys, I am driving EX manual, according to SE when i brought , it is EPS..and i have the same prob before and the indicator lighted up as EPS
Aloysius
Aloysius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2