Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Sudden Loss of Power Steering

+12
cboonh
Duser
city_snap
scorpey
joepele
FriesL
keigo
tish
Divine
soundphile
koayst
duncton
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty Sudden Loss of Power Steering

Post by duncton 19th July 2009, 10:40 pm

Something strange happened today as I was driving off after giving my ride a shower.

Was leaving the wash bay down the slope of ths MSCP when I found I could not turn the wheel. Realizing something was absolutely wrong, I quickly applied brakes and checked my six before reversing back to the wash bay. Once stopped, I turned of the ignition, waited a while before starting the car again. Guess what, everything was back to normal and driving around with no further problems on my steering wheel.

Anybody can advise whether, is this normal for cars with electric power steerng? What had happened to cause the loss of power steering?

Guess I'll be checking in my car for a check to be safe. You guys all be careful and be aware when driving off.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Sudden Loss of Power Steering Empty Re: Sudden Loss of Power Steering

Post by duncton 19th July 2009, 10:52 pm

oops... sorry, I think posted in wrong area.... paiseh.... can help to move this post to into General Discussions..? thanks tongue
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by koayst 19th July 2009, 11:10 pm

wa lau .... sound scary ...

koayst

Back to top Go down

Post by koayst 19th July 2009, 11:17 pm

I just wonder how you reversed back to washing bay when u couldn't turn the steering wheel. Did i understand u correctly ?

koayst

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 19th July 2009, 11:22 pm

u heard me right lah koayst bro.... I parked in the washing bay aligned with the slope going down mah. So its actually the only option for me. I cannot turn either ways when I reached the bottom of the slope. I had to reverse back to where I started off.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by soundphile 20th July 2009, 12:00 am

did u turn ur ignition to on position without starting ur engine when u washing ur car? (eg to listen to music)

soundphile

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 20th July 2009, 12:23 am

I did turn it on but for using the battery to power my portable water jet. Did that cause the incident? Why leh?
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 20th July 2009, 1:26 pm

hmmmm next time u start ur car try letting the ecu run throught all the electronics first before u start... i believe urs is a EPS assist steering?
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 20th July 2009, 3:25 pm

Divine wrote:hmmmm next time u start ur car try letting the ecu run throught all the electronics first before u start... i believe urs is a EPS assist steering?

must like that one ah? is that a flaw in the system ?
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 20th July 2009, 3:31 pm

I'm kinda afraid it might be a flaw too.... if as what bro divine say, then it shud not happen when one is driving halfway in the expressway or what.... can't imagine the sudden loss of power steering when you are going in or out of the expressway at speed.

Ok, 2 contributory factor is
1) ECU not kick-in fully; and
2) also maybe I drained the battery too much.

I'll monitor again to see if I could simulate the problem next time I wash my car.

Any other expert opinions will be most welcome.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 20th July 2009, 3:33 pm

I encounter strange thing to my car be4.. but never to the stage of driving of with the steeling not working...

Just that everytime wash car... on battery and listen to radio.. then after that straight start engine.. I can feel the car is behaving differently...

so what I do is I will off everything... step brake to reset everything think mostly reset my alarm...

then turn and start engine...
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 20th July 2009, 3:45 pm

Think so.. with most moden car.. electronics.. its always good to let the ECU check thru all the necessary module.. steering, ESC, engine etc... before.. start.. once running.. believe there should be some fail safe mode in place.. (some one could verify this?) i.e steering even w/o power can still steer the car.. although heavy..

looks like we cant really rush to run the car.. heard some toyo** model (IST) need certain idle time (like ~>5mins) before could drive away..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 20th July 2009, 3:58 pm

As long as this does not happen while driving...

Imagine this happening while one of the bros testing the top speed.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 20th July 2009, 4:11 pm

this leads me to another q.

when the engine not start, could we manually turn the wheel? (even if its v.very heavy?) or will we break anything.....

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpey 21st July 2009, 4:36 pm

another case huh?
this sounds like the same issue from what my fren's wife encountered.. refer to thread "EPS light on"
scorpey
scorpey

Back to top Go down

Post by city_snap 21st July 2009, 5:47 pm

This sound scary:eeek:. Can our electrical steering change to hydrolic type?

city_snap

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 21st July 2009, 6:11 pm

Yup.. EX comes with hydraulic steering.. no too worry, here it seems if car not start for a prolong period.. the module cut off the power supply to steering... to conserve power.. (i think for most modern car will be using motor / wire drive liao)

but i do concern if no assisted power (as specs indicated) could we turn / steer the car.. (just like hydraulic.. we could still do tat..)..

anyone? Thanks in advance..
else i post up when i got my ride.. in 2 weeks time. (i hope and finger cross...)

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 21st July 2009, 10:46 pm

This sounds like what I experience before. Steering very heavy and feels lock.Unable to turn. Going for my servicing on Fri. Will check it out and see what could be the reason.

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 21st July 2009, 11:51 pm

this seems to be a common problem now...
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 12:46 pm

it better not..
Duser u mean unable to turn? oh.. that worrying. then.. but i thought the MDPS is assisting only.. not by wire (complete detach mechanism?)

pale

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 22nd July 2009, 12:53 pm

1 imp question, this only happens when the drive just start the car right?

Anyone encountered this while driving halfway?
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 22nd July 2009, 12:59 pm

NOrmally when i turn the key, I will just let the ecu run for few sec and some of the indicator signs will go off then i crank the engine. This EPS thing, does not occur to me while driving on road. More on stationery. My wife experience one more time while moving from standstill at carpark two days ago. mY first case also from carpark ( Car switch on running with aircon about 6mins and then steering feels heavy and locked).

I shudder to think this will happen while driving, which I hopefully expect it not to happen.

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 22nd July 2009, 1:13 pm

I also think this one better not pray pray.... so I got an appointment to go in tomorrow morning to get it checked out.

Update everyone after.

Meanwhile, I still see a certain pattern. Which is, that this only so far happens when moving off.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by cboonh 22nd July 2009, 1:28 pm

I think i experience it once too. The EPS symbol lighted up and I was quite puzzled. I shut down the engine and restarted and everything was back to normal. Didnt happen again and i brushed it off as a one off thing. Hmm.. seems like quite a number of us are getting it eh.
cboonh
cboonh

Back to top Go down

Post by Duser 22nd July 2009, 1:34 pm

duncton wrote:I also think this one better not pray pray.... so I got an appointment to go in tomorrow morning to get it checked out.

Update everyone after.

Meanwhile, I still see a certain pattern. Which is, that this only so far happens when moving off.

Do update us!

Duser

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 22nd July 2009, 2:17 pm

Juz to confirm.

This is happening to the SX only or the EX as well?

1.6 or 2.0?
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 3:23 pm

hi, all after some checking..

here some finding..
its actually just assisted power.. so should still steer even when no power although its damn heavy... seeing the shafts connecting all the way to the steering drive...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 3:25 pm

joepele wrote:Juz to confirm.

This is happening to the SX only or the EX as well?

1.6 or 2.0?

this should be for all MDPS..

Btw.. also it seems to happen only during initial start of engine.. ? check not complete/ interrupt?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 3:26 pm

Switched off the car when coming down from Lido Carpark last night level 10. The natural gradient of the CP allows me to juz glide it down all the way to the gantry.

Steering is as per non assisted steering, hard n heavy.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 22nd July 2009, 3:46 pm

Fortec wrote:Switched off the car when coming down from Lido Carpark last night level 10. The natural gradient of the CP allows me to juz glide it down all the way to the gantry.

wow bro u got strong arms to control all the way down lol thumbsup
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 3:51 pm

tish wrote:
Fortec wrote:Switched off the car when coming down from Lido Carpark last night level 10. The natural gradient of the CP allows me to juz glide it down all the way to the gantry.

I used to drive cars without power steering, it's not much of a deal really.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 22nd July 2009, 4:27 pm

Fortec wrote:
tish wrote:

You also somehow disclosed your age.

hahahaha...........
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 4:51 pm

Haaa..thanks bro fortec..

at least we can confirm... if power assist fail.. we could still manage to steer..and in drive..could save our as** it should not be tat heavy (but still heavy)... so 1 worry down. thumbsup

so.. please turn hard if needs be.. it wont spoil anything.. ya.. ?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 22nd July 2009, 6:34 pm

Fortec wrote:
tish wrote:

ohh i not sure about EPS without electrical, used to drive a powerless steering starlet, only parking gives me problem coz its hard to turn wheels when car not moving.

So forte without electricity is the same as those none power steering ?
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 22nd July 2009, 7:14 pm

I would say no. I used to drive a suzuki swift sedan 9 yrs ago. It does not have power steering. So what I felt that day was different. It was much too stiff that day in my opinion.

Anyway, I called my SE today to see whether he's heard of such issues from any of his customers. In fact he said he experienced the same problem with his 2 ltr Forte. According to him, he sent it in for troubleshooting and their diagnosis was a loose valve. Tighten oredi and it did not happen again. I appreciate that he was frank to share, but I doubt it could be a valve leh. I think he kenah smoked by his engineer. Razz

EPS generally uses a steering motor to assist steering. It gets information from the torque sensor and the ECU for the condition and to assist appropriately. Example, if you are stationary, it will give maximum assistance. But if the ECU tell the motor that the car is travelling at speed, it will assist with less power. So I dun think its got to do with a valve, as that indicates a hydraulic assist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But could it be and does anybody know whether its because different batch/capacity use different power steering system? I read somewhere that the overseas LX version uses hydraulic power steering.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 22nd July 2009, 7:27 pm

Where I read tat Forte top-line LX uses traditional hydraulic power steering(HPS).

What did impress was the electric power steering system. EPS technology was a reluctant sacrifice, until recently. It yielded at least an extra 1 mpg, but tended to numb out a car’s steering. The latest systems are much improved. In another review, on TheDetroitBureau.com, you’ll find us singing the praises of the electric steering on Chevrolet’s new Equinox. While the system on the 2010 Kia Forte isn’t quite as good, it maintains a reasonable sense of road feel and actually seemed a bit more precise than the traditional hydraulic power steering on the top-line Forte LX was also drove.
- http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009/06/first-drive-2010-kia-forte/

I think there is a different experience with an HPS losing assistance and an EPS losing assistance. For HPS, I think it could be much easier to steer w/o resistance than cars with EPS losing assitance.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 22nd July 2009, 7:34 pm

our current local EX also using the Hyd assisted power steering.... Smile
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 22nd July 2009, 7:51 pm

FriesL wrote:Yup.. EX comes with hydraulic steering.. no too worry, here it seems if car not start for a prolong period.. the module cut off the power supply to steering... to conserve power.. (i think for most modern car will be using motor / wire drive liao)

but i do concern if no assisted power (as specs indicated) could we turn / steer the car.. (just like hydraulic.. we could still do tat..)..

anyone? Thanks in advance..
else i post up when i got my ride.. in 2 weeks time. (i hope and finger cross...)

As Friesl bro pointed out, EX comes with hydraulic steering, so maybe only the SX comes with EPS? Dunno whether it is a good or bad thing. Mostly, the advantages of the EPS as mentioned below:

One of the advantages of electric power steering is that it eliminates the power steering pump, which can use as much as 8 to 10 horsepower under load. This improves fuel economy while also eliminating the weight and bulk of the power steering pump and hoses. Getting rid of the hydraulics also does away with fluid leaks and the need to check the power steering fluid.
- http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

So far, fellow Forte owners with the same prob with me (very stiff/locked-up steering at moving off) are driving the 1.6 SX (A) which comes with EPS. So maybe its something to take note.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 8:59 pm

Hi, bro duncton
was confirmed by SE that EX comes with hydraulic steering.

probably its seems the down down side of EPS is the missing road feel. not the technology, thus users really dun like it.

but what concern me is the ability to steer without power assist and that is very very important. think its super heavy maybe we need to drive thru all the gears and the motor it self..

now comes to mind is to verify if bro Fortec is driving a SX model (EPS)...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 22nd July 2009, 9:00 pm

wow bro u champion wahaha by switching off ur car u are also disabling ur brake pump and ur ABS wowow my hero.......
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 22nd July 2009, 9:14 pm

FriesL wrote:

now comes to mind is to verify if bro Fortec is driving a SX model (EPS)...

Bro Fortec is drving 1.6 SX (M) bah.... Thats according to the registration. So he might be using EPS too.

Hmm... Please hor ... other drivers, do not try what bro Fortec did. Can be quite dangerous if you are not sure of what you are in fact disabling in yur car. Need to say that really really appreciate the experiment, he proved that it could still be handled.... with due force.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 9:21 pm

Divine wrote:

wow bro u champion wahaha by switching off ur car u are also disabling ur brake pump and ur ABS wowow my hero.......

The brake works even if the engine is off.
ABS, need ABS for????
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 22nd July 2009, 9:30 pm

Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:

ABS, need ABS for????

hmm its works? try pumping ur brakes for a few times with engine off then u will get wat i mean =)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 9:31 pm

Something as important as steering the direction of the car, if you are a designer/engineer...what is the logical feature you would implement should the primary hydraulic/electronic assisted steering system fail?
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 9:33 pm

Divine wrote:
Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:

ABS, need ABS for????

hmm its works? try pumping ur brakes for a few times with engine off then u will get wat i mean =)

Oh then my car should end up kissing someone backside last night liao...
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 22nd July 2009, 9:38 pm

Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:
Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:

ABS, need ABS for????

hmmm thats weird cos when i pump up mine in off mod the brakes get harder and harder to step...(can others comfirm this or is this only me?)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 9:50 pm

Divine wrote:
Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:
Fortec wrote:
Divine wrote:

ABS, need ABS for????

hmmm thats weird cos when i pump up mine in off mod the brakes get harder and harder to step...(can others comfirm this or is this only me?)

Yes it get harder and harder to step coz the engine is not doing the vacuuming job liao...that doesn't means the brakes are not working. The vacuum or brake pump/booster u called it...is juz like an assist to make things easier. Just that you have to use more force on the pedals once the vaccum effects are gone.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 22nd July 2009, 9:54 pm

wooot ... ok actually tat was wat i meant to say... pai seh misunderstanding=x.
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 22nd July 2009, 9:55 pm

Woo.. thanks duncton!
haa.... this is important.. should try to see my confident in doing that... when i get my ride (hopefully wont break anyparts..haaa... )...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 22nd July 2009, 9:59 pm

FriesL wrote:Woo.. thanks duncton!
haa.... this is important.. should try to see my confident in doing that... when i get my ride (hopefully wont break anyparts..haaa... )...

Don't try it on steep gradient hor....ur legs no power don't blame me haha....(have ur hand brake on the ready).
Best just do whatever u are most comfy with.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next