Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Engine RPM advice?? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Engine RPM advice?? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Engine RPM advice?? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Engine RPM advice?? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Engine RPM advice?? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Engine RPM advice?? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Engine RPM advice?? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Engine RPM advice?? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Engine RPM advice?? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Engine RPM advice??

+7
NiVleK
giancarlo
omg2doors
cpt_zr
aural
Terrier
unlimitedz
11 posters

Go down

Engine RPM advice?? Empty Engine RPM advice??

Post by unlimitedz 6th December 2009, 11:09 pm

Hey guys, was wondering if any seniors here can help...

Heard that maintaining 3-4k rpm then chang gear will loosen the engine, however others say DO NOT go over 3k rpm so that engine will run in properly...

abv all, is it tat unhealthy to run e engine 3-4krpm?? believe engine is not as fragile as it seems to b...
any advice from pros here???

thanks in advance.... Engine RPM advice?? 141836
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Engine RPM advice?? Empty Re: Engine RPM advice??

Post by Terrier 6th December 2009, 11:31 pm

Forte Manual react abit different from Forte Auto..

the first 2 gear for Manual is abit lack of response which u will slightly drag more and change gear above 3krpm but its ok for gear 3/4 and that is causes by the ECU stock tunning fault..

maintaining constantly at 80km/hr is advisable for the 1st 1000 but occasionally i will increase to 90km/hr for overtaking and remain back to 80km/hr.. after i send my car for 1k servicing.. my margin of run-in scale increases to 100km/hr with 3krpm

for manual u definately drag abit more for the first 2 gear which is ard 3.5krpm or lesser..

as long u are within this window then u can considered as proper run-in..

for Forte Manual folks here.. maybe u can advise him more on the proper run in for manual..
Terrier
Terrier

Back to top Go down

Post by unlimitedz 6th December 2009, 11:41 pm

ok... tks bro... hmmmm... waitin to hear more from forte manuals.. hhha///
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 7th December 2009, 12:21 am

Dun think have solid answer but dun rev above 3k shld be ok most of the time to serve my needs.

So far after upgrading to 17" for me, at junction i rev for until 2.5k already quite good already to move and usually first few cars ahead. Also for 100km/h on expressways, my xiao bai also did not hit above 3krpm also. Overtaking at 110, might just touch 3k rpm. So i dun think i really need to hit to even 4k rpm anytime in SG.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by cpt_zr 7th December 2009, 12:36 am

aural wrote:Dun think have solid answer but dun rev above 3k shld be ok most of the time to serve my needs.

So far after upgrading to 17" for me, at junction i rev for until 2.5k already quite good already to move and usually first few cars ahead. Also for 100km/h on expressways, my xiao bai also did not hit above 3krpm also. Overtaking at 110, might just touch 3k rpm. So i dun think i really need to hit to even 4k rpm anytime in SG.

u are driving a 2L or 1.6?

my 1.6L 100kmh is on 3 or slightly above 3 le..
cpt_zr
cpt_zr

Back to top Go down

Post by omg2doors 7th December 2009, 12:42 am

eh i not very sure..

i have been driving AT for past 3 years..always RPM 3k during pick up, until now nothing wrong touch wood, but it's a toyota.

During run in try not to high rev (>3.5k), but after that it's fine..but normal driving dont' need la. just occasionaly whack is good for engine, can clear carbon. =)
omg2doors
omg2doors

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 7th December 2009, 12:42 am

cpt_zr wrote:
aural wrote:Dun think have solid answer but dun rev above 3k shld be ok most of the time to serve my needs.

u are driving a 2L or 1.6?

my 1.6L 100kmh is on 3 or slightly above 3 le..

1.6L manual. but at 100km/h is just below 3k. If above 100km/h will be slightly on 3k or above.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 7th December 2009, 12:44 am

omg2doors wrote:eh i not very sure..

i have been driving AT for past 3 years..always RPM 3k during pick up, until now nothing wrong touch wood, but it's a toyota.

During run in try not to high rev (>3.5k), but after that it's fine..but normal driving dont' need la. just occasionaly whack is good for engine, can clear carbon. =)

3k rpm is ok 3.5k also ok. It depends on individual driving styles. Most people on road dun rev until 4k for pick up. Those that really fly from junctions usually are sports car or dunno why also.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by giancarlo 7th December 2009, 1:09 am

yup rpm at 3k is good enough for 1.6M SX
kinda fast plus just a little stress on the piston ^^

120km/h is only near 3.5 rpm and anyway its on high gear so the stress its taking is not consider as high compare to gear 1-3

giancarlo

Back to top Go down

Post by NiVleK 7th December 2009, 7:37 am

giancarlo wrote:yup rpm at 3k is good enough for 1.6M SX
kinda fast plus just a little stress on the piston ^^

120km/h is only near 3.5 rpm and anyway its on high gear so the stress its taking is not consider as high compare to gear 1-3

high gear, low gear no effect on pistons.

Pistons are for combustion.

Engine is designed for up to redline. Just dun exceed redline can liaos. If always rev a lot, the only thing is engine mounting sometimes gets loosen, cabin will start to vibrate a little.
NiVleK
NiVleK

Back to top Go down

Post by jeRrRKKKK 7th December 2009, 10:54 am

ok i've asked my friend who is an engineer and he's told me that the reason why you must run in the engine is because of mechanical manufacturing

during manufacture the parts will have minute differences thus they will not be able to gel perfectly
the purpose of driving at low rpm is to wear out these differences

on high rpm the forces between the moving parts will be excessive and will result in minute microscope chipping which will affect long term tolerance, power and fuel consumption

this is also the reason why must change engine oil frequently during run in...
thus going by his explanation, you should not purposely change gear at 3-4krpm instead you should try to maintain at as low rpm as possible

but to be honest, for me i won't really care too much because i plan to change to a luxury car at the soonest available opportunity... the minute my salary hits over 5k i'll change already... but that won't happen so soon Engine RPM advice?? 699370

jeRrRKKKK

Back to top Go down

Post by redkoup 7th December 2009, 11:01 am

bro, dun tink 5K can comfortably afford a luxury car lei.
redkoup
redkoup

Back to top Go down

Post by jeRrRKKKK 7th December 2009, 11:14 am

haha i aiming nissan teana or honda accord nia
not mercedes ;p

plus i driving opc so lagi cheaper...

jeRrRKKKK

Back to top Go down

Post by redkoup 7th December 2009, 12:07 pm

unlimitedz wrote:Hey guys, was wondering if any seniors here can help...

Heard that maintaining 3-4k rpm then chang gear will loosen the engine, however others say DO NOT go over 3k rpm so that engine will run in properly...

abv all, is it tat unhealthy to run e engine 3-4krpm?? believe engine is not as fragile as it seems to b...

bro, dun worry. revving the engine up to 4k occasionally won't cause it to explode la. haha...

in fact, even the owner's manual oso stated that it's advisable not to keep driving at the same speed and to keep varying the engine speeds and to keep the revs up to 4k during run-in. that's to help shed the micro metal particles inside the engine to enable the car to perform better in the long run. that's why 1k & 5k gotta go buang the mineral oil and change filter to 'cleanse' the engine of the metal particles.
redkoup
redkoup

Back to top Go down

Post by NiVleK 7th December 2009, 12:31 pm

redkoup wrote:bro, dun tink 5K can comfortably afford a luxury car lei.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Unless you dun have any other commitments and big fat dough for downpayment.
NiVleK
NiVleK

Back to top Go down

Post by unlimitedz 7th December 2009, 9:43 pm

my rite foot jst doesnt listen to me man.... lolx... past few days min 3.5 - 4k rpm then chagne gear... LOL.... Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale

redkoup wrote:

bro, dun worry. revving the engine up to 4k occasionally won't cause it to explode la. haha...

in fact, even the owner's manual oso stated that it's advisable not to keep driving at the same speed and to keep varying the engine speeds and to keep the revs up to 4k during run-in. that's to help shed the micro metal particles inside the engine to enable the car to perform better in the long run. that's why 1k & 5k gotta go buang the mineral oil and change filter to 'cleanse' the engine of the metal particles.
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Post by Revrrr 9th December 2009, 2:00 am

Back when I got my DC5R, my mechanic told me not to be afraid to give
it abit of rev (not saying you have to keep the needle bouncing off
the redline Engine RPM advice?? Icon_eek)

I think the main thing is to keep varying the revs. The first 1000Kms is the most important.

Also shift down accordingly and let engine braking do its job too. All this is to ensure the piston ring seals bed in properly.
Revrrr
Revrrr

Back to top Go down

Post by omg2doors 9th December 2009, 1:43 pm

unlimitedz wrote:my rite foot jst doesnt listen to me man.... lolx... past few days min 3.5 - 4k rpm then chagne gear... LOL.... Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale Engine RPM advice?? Icon_pale

redkoup wrote:

time to put a brick below the accelerator!
omg2doors
omg2doors

Back to top Go down

Post by epig 9th December 2009, 2:41 pm

redkoup wrote:

agree. my previous ride, i rev until 6k also no prob.. anyway i read from somewhere, its gd to rev to higher rpms at times to clear and burn off the carbon residue that has built up inside the engine.

run in period for me, anything between 2 to 4k.. don't stick to just 1 speed also there isnt a recommended limit during the run-in period (if i nv rmb wrongly)

and has only the recommended rpm.

once u reach about 100km is about 3k rpm liao.. 120km is about 3.5 like tht.. so no problem one.

that was how i did my run-in.. between 2.5k to 3.5k rpm.
epig
epig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down