Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment

2 posters

Go down

Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment

Post by duncton 27th August 2009, 12:36 am

Lately, I've been really interested in cleaning my car's engine bay d-i-y.

Tried it a few weeks ago, after doing some research in the usual precautions. Was a success as nothing went wrong after. heh heh....

Interested to know if any one here got any experience to share regarding this topic? Share some tips like what u use and what u do?
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty Re: Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment

Post by tiny 27th August 2009, 9:38 am

Just use a damp microfibre cloth and give the dusty areas a wipedown lor. Try not to touch the battery or any live electrical circuits, but most of our car electrical connections are pretty well sealed.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment Empty Re: Washing under the hood - Cleaning your engine compartment

Post by duncton 27th August 2009, 3:06 pm

Thats like dry cleaning right? Use microfibre some more ah.... "sim tiah" leh....

I basically did the following:
1) wrapped up major electrical components (fuse box, electrical coils, etc)
2) sprayed WD40 at all electrical connectors to ensure no moisture go in
3) then spray water
4) squirt lotsa grease remover ($5plus per bottle)
5) let the cleaning agent do its stuff
6) agitate with brush at all corners, surfaces to get stubborn dirt out
7) spray with water again
8) wipe down with some rag
9) remove protection wrappings
10) spray WD 40 at electrical points to drive out any moisture
11) then close hood and wash the whole car

so far ok... these were the basic steps people shared in the Internet.

but has anybody tried doing anything different? Just curious. Of course if I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know before I cause any further damage.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 27th August 2009, 10:55 pm

You sprayed WD40 at electrical connectors? Huh?? WD40 is a water based lubricant. Anything sprayed with WD40 is actually more prone to rusting after that if it is not properly protected. If you wish to drive out moisture from electrical points, you should spray electrcial contact cleaner. Btw what's the rational behind spraying electrical contacts with WD40? I've never heard of anyone using it as a form of electrical contact cleaner in my 15yrs of electronics work.

If you are willing to invest in WD40 and degreaser, what's the price of microfibre cloth to you? Besides, microfibre cloth can be cleaned and reused.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by duncton 28th August 2009, 12:08 am

Tiny bro, I am not saying it is not feasible. Which is why I say it is like dry wash lah.... may take more time and energy right? But really wash the car is possible but realise that not many people do it. But with a bit of awareness, it might be real fun.

Just to share with you that (and this was extracted from the Internet of course),

"WD-40 stands for Water Displacer and is the trademark name of a water-displacing spray. It was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion.
Its properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product may also be useful in removing moisture."

hmm... it is not a water-based lubricant [no water in it actually]. And it is in fact used for displacing water in such places like electrical connectors etc leh... confirm

also check out website for details: http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

We're all here to share what we know,so thanks for sharing bro.... peace.
duncton
duncton

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 28th August 2009, 2:43 am

Hmm.. From my experience of using it on untreated metal parts, WD40 actually increases the rate of rust because it removes the dirt and grease that's covering the metal surface. There's no faster way of making a bicycle chain rust to bits than spraying WD40 on it, you can try it yourself. Sometimes dirt is a form of protection against the elements.

It might be a water displacing spray, but for electrical contacts I wouldn't trust my life on it.

Get a electrical contact cleaner spray, Sim Lim towers sell those. It's not expensive, and it dries quickly and very clean.

Anyway it's just my 2 cents.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down