Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Need Advice - Poly or JC - and what are the implications?

+11
FriesL
patsy
aural
qbear
kysoong
Fortec
The Blue Cruiser
liplip
longbow
lukester
JuanST
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty Need Advice - Poly or JC - and what are the implications?

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 11:25 am

I know that this is a sensitive topic but i need real advice. I have a boy who will go to JC or Poly next year.
I cant really rely on the brochures since most of them will just put the best foot forward.... so pls be frank.

thanks.
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty Re: Need Advice - Poly or JC - and what are the implications?

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 11:32 am

Juan. It really depend. But can tell u I went poly despite having good results in o level. I regreted not gng jc. First of all it's shortcut to a degree. I am not saying degree is everything, but it is in fact a key or rather short cut to attain goals.

Furthermore gng to jc means that it's easier to enter local uni. Nus n ntu are among top 50 n 100 respectively, smu unranked because it's considered as biz scool for those tankers but still equally good. Anyway it boils down to ur kid still. My advice is only advise.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Empty Re: Need Advice - Poly or JC - and what are the implications?

Post by longbow 14th December 2009, 11:34 am

I would have gone to JC if my grades were better, my O levels were terrible and I had to settle for an engineering diploma.
longbow
longbow

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 14th December 2009, 11:45 am

If you look at numbers, poly is getting popular. It offers diplomas with names of the industry that your kid can choose now. The drawback of that is that a 16yr old does not know what career he wants yet.

Secondary schools will still push for JC because the ranking tables rank by JC admission I think. In reverse to the point made above, he might know a little more about what he wants to do when he is of 18yrs.

But if he wants to start working after diploma, that is a good choice as it is better than an A-level cert. After he enters the workforce, he can further his education either part-time or quit to do full time after 3 years work. A mature student may absorb better the university education, plus it is easier to find diploma jobs than degree jobs. I am thinking maybe a degree with some experience as a diploma holder may be a good thing, but that is up to personal perspectives on how hard or easy it is to find a graduate job placement.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 12:19 pm

I also agree with liplip. Providing good 2 point of view. In summary, maybe dilpoma is too early, child might not know career path. 2nd is diploma then with work and degree makes ur child a good asset on future.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 12:20 pm

I seem to fall in both categories liplip mentioned.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 1:00 pm

i was from a junior college. as far as university admission is concerned, jc is a better choice. but if your child is not a bookworm/studious type, DON'T GO to jc. it will be in a terrible mess.

in fact, jc is losing its popularity fast. first of all, the fourth poly-university is coming up, only for poly students. they now have more rooms to enter a university. secondly, jc is damn stressful and its cert is lousy. thirdly, your teenage child may not like jc's rigid and lack of freedom schooling environment. and lastly, polys are opening many new courses that are interesting and attractive.

go to poly, 3 years later, with the fourth uni coming up, and the 3 existing unis are beginning to recognise poly students, i believe the entry to uni for poly students is easier.
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 1:01 pm

looking at the situation now, in fact, i think some JCs may close down in a few years time. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_surprised

but at my time, i preferred JC because i don't want to get looked down by relatives and friends. poly that time was like an "upper class ITE". JC was perceived by others to be a place for better students.
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 2:59 pm

after poly, what is the possibility of going uni? what is required?

after jc, is it only going to uni, can one divert to poly?

or lets say , u enter jc, if u ddont like it, can u transfer to poly?

all these scenarios, what is the possible consequences and costs?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 3:08 pm

JuanST wrote:after poly, what is the possibility of going uni? what is required?

top 5% from each polytechnic can go Uni. if your child is studying business course in poly, when go NUS/NTU/SMU business course, can straight away go Uni Year 2.

after jc, is it only going to uni, can one divert to poly?

if want to go poly after jc, my suggestion is, don't even touch jc as your child would be wasting 2 years already. if go jc still want to go poly, your child have to make a choice after jc Year 1. but again, it wastes a year. might as well go to poly after o levels.

or lets say , u enter jc, if u ddont like it, can u transfer to poly?

cannot say regret going to jc. as usual, if your child is studious or love books and studying many hours a day, go jc. if not, have to go poly. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_biggrin

all these scenarios, what is the possible consequences and costs?

either jc or poly. if go jc then poly or poly then jc = time and money wasted. as a parent, i would want to see my child graduates as quickly as possible and start working so that my burden is reduced. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_biggrin

but as a former jc student, my experience is that, if want to go jc, you have to push your child until his head is covered with cold sweat. it is stressful but as current, jc has a higher percentage going to Uni. 70% from JCs can go Uni vs 30% from polys. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

Last edited by The Blue Cruiser on 14th December 2009, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 14th December 2009, 3:17 pm

Y not just let ur boy decides himself?
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 3:19 pm

hahaha. yes, let your child makes the decision. he is 17 this year, right? it's time to be responsible for his own future already. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 3:24 pm

Fortec wrote:Y not just let ur boy decides himself?

he will decide for himself.... but i want to make sure that he understands all his options.
for me to know if he understands all his options, i need to understand first.... else how can i verify.... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

he is quite mature for his age.... sometimes i think he is more mature than me... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_redface
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 3:30 pm

JuanST wrote:

he will decide for himself.... but i want to make sure that he understands all his options.
for me to know if he understands all his options, i need to understand first.... else how can i verify.... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

he is quite mature for his age.... sometimes i think he is more mature than me... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_redface

hmm... your 1970s edu system is different from today. why not you call up MOE for further enquries? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_biggrin

more mature than you? lol... then no need to advice him already. he will advice you on what to do after you hit 50. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_lol
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 3:32 pm

i dun want to repeat my mistakes.... since no one was guiding me during the time that i made these decisions, i took an unknown path, good thing it turned out well... lucky me.... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by kysoong 14th December 2009, 3:35 pm

lol, u r still mature lah although u just want koup rims n new gear knob for Xmas...

in the 1st place, wat course ur boy interested in?

best not hesitate and wait till o-level results then decide where to go...sometimes it's not a bad idea following his peers Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
kysoong
kysoong

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 3:36 pm

The Blue Cruiser wrote:
JuanST wrote:

hmm... your 1970s edu system is different from today. why not you call up MOE for further enquries? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_biggrin

more mature than you? lol... then no need to advice him already. he will advice you on what to do after you hit 50. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_lol

what 1970's u referring to ur father issit? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz ....
i read all the moe sites oredi.... as for my boy, he may be more mature... but i am more knowledgeable still....
when i hit 50, i expect him to advice me, but i will still make the decision..... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 3:41 pm

kysoong wrote:lol, u r still mature lah although u just want koup rims n new gear knob for Xmas...

in the 1st place, wat course ur boy interested in?

best not hesitate and wait till o-level results then decide where to go...sometimes it's not a bad idea following his peers Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

he is good with maths and english...what he likes.... he can write good stories... what he wants to do... he also does not know yet....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 3:50 pm

let him decide, but guide him along.

cos i also got no one to guide. I merely followed by elder sisters.

they go poly I also go.
I had good results, but didnt know what can I do with it because i have no guidance. (Last time Poly very IN one ok.)

so now at least ur son is fortunate, u can guide him
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 14th December 2009, 4:35 pm

Regarding the poly to JC before Uni, this one is misunderstood. Because poly diploma is a tertiary cert, so ideally it can allow your child to enter any university degree program (please double-check), but minus advance standing (2nd year entry) if the course is not directly relevant. For example take business diploma go enter engineering degree. For competitive degree programs where seats are limited, you have to be the top 5% of the diploma graduates in the same field of study and the universities are happy to take these students because a high percentage of these top poly students finish with first class honours. Perhaps you can predict if your kid has the potential to be in top 5%...

The drawback is that you take one more year to get out of school, but you can also say that you have 2 different major fields of study in the 2 major educational certificates. But I wouldn't know how it measures up to those that boast double masters degree.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 14th December 2009, 4:44 pm

And one thing about regret, we always regret choices... too many reasons that we can find for any action we do. My advice is to not let your son know that there are alternatives to use when regret comes in. Instead make a proper decision up front, and then stick through it.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by qbear 14th December 2009, 5:41 pm

Or you can be like me loh... go for 3 months JC 1st... see if I like it then decide if Poly or JC when results come out..
qbear
qbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 5:46 pm

JuanST wrote:

what 1970's u referring to ur father issit? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz ....
i read all the moe sites oredi.... as for my boy, he may be more mature... but i am more knowledgeable still....
when i hit 50, i expect him to advice me, but i will still make the decision..... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

aren't you are in your late 40s? your time was the 1970s edu system? or 60s? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_wink
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 5:48 pm

but just to add one thing, for a boy, go 2-year JC and then 3-year Poly is quite a waste of time. imagine if he goes NS at 19. 22 goes to poly. 25 then study Uni leh... many JC girls go at 19. can be their old brother already.

then some more, how long can you support him? you might retire one day, right? that means you have to work till he graduates from Uni, which is many years later.

Last edited by The Blue Cruiser on 14th December 2009, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 14th December 2009, 5:49 pm

Last time Poly and JC had a large difference in term start, but now Poly starts in April and application of the polytechnic course start in mid-Jan. If you try JC, you might be very late to apply Poly, leading to not getting a seat in popular courses.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 6:01 pm

The Blue Cruiser wrote:
JuanST wrote:

aren't you are in your late 40s? your time was the 1970s edu system? or 60s? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_wink

u are reminiscing ur old times .....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 6:02 pm

The Blue Cruiser wrote:
JuanST wrote:

otot... go back to topic..... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 6:22 pm

ermmm...
i think u got quite alot of info already.
liplip n blue gave good advice.

maybe lets hear what u think?
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 6:34 pm

i will not formulate any decision.... i will lay it out to him as all of u have described then i will ask him to consider....

when he makes a preference, then he will tell me why he has decided that way and what is the reason/situation that influenced him to make that prediliction.

am a strict father but i know that my son is coming on his own an i have to make sure that his opinion and views are heard for things that will definitely impact his life....

after he lay down his reasons, only then i will formulate my opinions...

then we will decide....

i want him to move forward with his eyes wide open.....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 6:37 pm

ok, sounds like a plan.

so when ur son grads, get a good pay, remember to ask him to share.

we help ur family in life choices.
hahahahaah!!!!!
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 6:48 pm

so democratic....
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 6:51 pm

lukester wrote:ok, sounds like a plan.

hahahahaah!!!!!

kaypoh ah? Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_lol
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 14th December 2009, 6:51 pm

hahahahaah!!!!!

remind me when the time comes..... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_lol
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 6:52 pm

JuanST wrote:

hahahahaah!!!!!

remind me when the time comes..... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_lol

don't know whether you are still in this forum by then... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 14th December 2009, 6:53 pm

ok, let's stick to the topic. don't later the son asks the father how come his forte friends are so kaypoh and weird. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 14th December 2009, 10:18 pm

not kaypoh lah

more like kay kiang
hahaha
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 15th December 2009, 8:00 am

IMHO, the implication can be quite clear. Your main worries are for his future. So think like an employer. And look around for clues.

In the past being a Uni grad guarantees success in the 80 to 90s. Now u throw a stone, u hit a uni grad. As such it might end up to be a "requirement" to get a good job on time to come. This is not to offend anyone but if we want to help the young ones then we hv to think from the employers pov and not from what we think. Smile

of course still depends on the young ones.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 15th December 2009, 8:22 am

haiz..
should be born earlier...
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 15th December 2009, 9:28 am

lukester wrote:haiz..
should be born earlier...

life was easier then because the economy was labor-based.
now we are in knowledge based economy.
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 15th December 2009, 9:33 am

Yeah, if I was born earlier I would not arrive at the working world in the time of recession and bubbles...

Knowledge economy? I think the world is just fooling itself... How can the whole world have growth non-stop...? We better start encouraging Singaporean people to start producing items for local consumption - self-sufficient is most important.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 15th December 2009, 9:45 am

liplip wrote:Yeah, if I was born earlier I would not arrive at the working world in the time of recession and bubbles...

Knowledge economy? I think the world is just fooling itself... How can the whole world have growth non-stop...? We better start encouraging Singaporean people to start producing items for local consumption - self-sufficient is most important.

it is a term that encompasses everything and covers nothing at the same time. ahhh... difficult to explain....

this is a simplistic representation :

old school : when u eat dinner - u pay the restaurant ur bill in cash....
new school : u do the same thing... u pay using ur credit card....

differences : scope of economy (jobs needed to support both scenarios)
old school : cook, business owner, diner
new school : all three + banks, visa/mastercard , card embossers, pos machine makers, programmers, systems analysts, financial analyst, risk analysts and so on and so on....

the same transaction, different scope.... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 15th December 2009, 10:44 am

who loves studying? you don't like, i don't like. we are forced to compete for Uni places that crap. now it is like, if you don't go Uni, you can't achieve much in life. promotions and higher pay are not yours to enjoy. sounds harsh but this is sg the merit-based country. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz

unless you can be like sim wong woo (what's his correct name?) who started the creative tech with just a diploma cert. if you want to be an employee but without a degree, life can be hard if you have a family. if you are lucky, you meet a boss who promotes you based on your performance, not your cert. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_cry
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 15th December 2009, 11:41 am

yeah.

my department all minimum degree cert liao.

gone were my sister's days when diploma can bring u places.

Sad

I am thinking of a Master soon.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 15th December 2009, 12:11 pm

For children's education planning for some of my clients who has very young kids, i'll advise them on this also. What has became the "basic" requirements and most would agree on that basic degree is like a diploma in the 80s.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by patsy 15th December 2009, 12:35 pm

but how relevant is a MBA in the real world? Am asking because my HR has just asked if I want to go for one on top of my MSc

I know poly grads who are great in their jobs, and uni grads who I wouldn't dare ask to go buy coffee coz he'll come back with Milo! I think a lot of it has to do with the person also... although I do concede having a degree does open more doors
patsy
patsy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 15th December 2009, 12:56 pm

much of the cert is just to meet the job requirement only and does not relevant to the real world. for example, if you want to be a businessman, what does o-level physics and chemistry mean? and what does algebraic maths help for the business where a hawkerman's simple maths can do the solving? so to say, the cert is just for show only after you have passed through the gates.

it sounds stupid but this is sg. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_cry and getting a degree is not easy also. it is very competitive and stressful in uni. now even worse when there are so many foreign students to compete with the locals. some can't take it and leave uni after 3 years, not getting the 'basic' honors degree. more studious ones will go for masters and even PHD but... not everyone can do that.
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 15th December 2009, 1:00 pm

another thing is, making money is not about studying well and getting good certs.

a 1st class honors civil servant earning at $4000 a month loses out to an education-less businessman with bright ideas earning at $10000 a month. sounds lame but it's real world. of course not all businessmen can be successful but successful businesses are originated from failures. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_biggrin
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 15th December 2009, 1:00 pm

JuanST wrote:

Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? 332362 great daddy!

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 15th December 2009, 1:06 pm

The Blue Cruiser wrote:who loves studying? you don't like, i don't like. we are forced to compete for Uni places that crap. now it is like, if you don't go Uni, you can't achieve much in life. promotions and higher pay are not yours to enjoy. sounds harsh but this is sg the merit-based country. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_razz

unless you can be like sim wong woo (what's his correct name?) who started the creative tech with just a diploma cert. if you want to be an employee but without a degree, life can be hard if you have a family. if you are lucky, you meet a boss who promotes you based on your performance, not your cert. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_cry

I so agree with you...
coming to think of it, think luck plays a big big part too in life.. Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 15th December 2009, 1:14 pm

JuanST wrote:
liplip wrote:Yeah, if I was born earlier I would not arrive at the working world in the time of recession and bubbles...

it is a term that encompasses everything and covers nothing at the same time. ahhh... difficult to explain....

this is a simplistic representation :

old school : when u eat dinner - u pay the restaurant ur bill in cash....
new school : u do the same thing... u pay using ur credit card....

differences : scope of economy (jobs needed to support both scenarios)
old school : cook, business owner, diner
new school : all three + banks, visa/mastercard , card embossers, pos machine makers, programmers, systems analysts, financial analyst, risk analysts and so on and so on....

the same transaction, different scope.... Need Advice -  Poly or JC - and what are the implications? Icon_smile

Stunning example. But I don't think that explains knowledge economy, I tend to think that knowledge economy refers to how many IPs you hold and that you can charge money for. Royalties are always faster money than labour, that is why Singapore wants to go in that direction. If Visa/Mastercard had a Singapore owner, that is knowledge economy because nobody else knows how to unroot these 2 big payment companies and they forever earn loads because it is 2.x% per transaction. But... this system breeds people who want to make it big with little effort.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next