Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes

+9
forte3737
jeRrRKKKK
FriesL
VAG
melburn
danielg
kia_cerato_forte
The Blue Cruiser
kqkhlj
13 posters

Go down

Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes

Post by kqkhlj 27th September 2009, 2:27 am

Hi

What is the difference between both of the brakes.

What are the maintenance aspects that need to be done to keep them in good working condition. Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_biggrin

kqkhlj

Back to top Go down

Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty Re: Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes

Post by The Blue Cruiser 27th September 2009, 11:24 am

Disc brake is bigger than drum brake, thus more effective in braking. but some car technicians prefer drum brake (resistant to fading).
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Empty Re: Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 2:20 pm

drum brake can change to disc brake or not?

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by danielg 28th December 2009, 2:55 pm

I think for a car, almost everything can change. It's just whether how much it will cost and if it is cost effective. Looking at EX? Cos SX comes with all disc brakes.
danielg
danielg

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 5:29 pm

ya

EX

just wondering drum brake can change to disc brake ma?

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 8:20 pm

is it costly??????????

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by melburn 28th December 2009, 8:31 pm

kia_cerato_forte wrote:is it costly??????????

It did cross my mind too previously but after knowing it will cost more than 1K i gave up the idea.

Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_biggrin
melburn
melburn

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 8:37 pm

melburn wrote:

It did cross my mind too previously but after knowing it will cost more than 1K i gave up the idea.

need SGD 1K wor?

in malaysia would it be cheaper?

urs also EX?

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by kqkhlj 28th December 2009, 9:10 pm

after driving around for 3 month with drum brakes, i think will still stick to drum brakes, very effective braking power, at least to my standard.

kqkhlj

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 9:40 pm

kqkhlj wrote:after driving around for 3 month with drum brakes, i think will still stick to drum brakes, very effective braking power, at least to my standard.

but ABS will be more effective with disc brake?

isn't it?

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by kqkhlj 28th December 2009, 9:53 pm

kia_cerato_forte wrote:
kqkhlj wrote:after driving around for 3 month with drum brakes, i think will still stick to drum brakes, very effective braking power, at least to my standard.

isn't it?

er... not sure leh, this is my first car and one of the best choice i ever made in my life, very good handling and got alot of safety features.

kqkhlj

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 10:00 pm

kqkhlj wrote:
kia_cerato_forte wrote:

isn't it?

er... not sure leh, this is my first car and one of the best choice i ever made in my life, very good handling and got alot of safety features.

ic,but EX only 1 air bag

jia lat

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by VAG 28th December 2009, 10:13 pm

My last car has 4 disc brake...when I use my current EX with 2 disc brake, can feel the car need more distance to stop at red light....cuz sometime I overshoot the white line Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_razz So either you step harder on the brake pedal or you try to brake earlier if possible.

For the conversion part... the SX disc brake come with an integrate drum brake behind the disc for parking brake. So If you want to change, I think need to replace the entire part and reprogram the ABS. Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_cool
VAG
VAG

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 28th December 2009, 10:26 pm

VAG wrote:My last car has 4 disc brake...when I use my current EX with 2 disc brake, can feel the car need more distance to stop at red light....cuz sometime I overshoot the white line Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_razz So either you step harder on the brake pedal or you try to brake earlier if possible.

For the conversion part... the SX disc brake come with an integrate drum brake behind the disc for parking brake. So If you want to change, I think need to replace the entire part and reprogram the ABS. Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_cool

wah

sounds complicated Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_rolleyes

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 29th December 2009, 12:35 am

VAG wrote:My last car has 4 disc brake...when I use my current EX with 2 disc brake, can feel the car need more distance to stop at red light....cuz sometime I overshoot the white line Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_razz So either you step harder on the brake pedal or you try to brake earlier if possible.

oh.. there is a drum brake on rear disc? so another pair of brake shoe to maintain??? Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Icon_rolleyes , i once change my old car disc brake but never notice any drum brake leh.??

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by jeRrRKKKK 29th December 2009, 3:17 pm

drum brakes are more prone to heat
once its hot it'll be ineffective
however they last much longer than disc brakes
1 drum brake = 4 disc brakes

to change from drum to disc you'll need at least 3 or 4k
but if you are driving a forte or a koup, you don't need 4 disc brakes, it'll be an overkill

jeRrRKKKK

Back to top Go down

Post by forte3737 29th December 2009, 10:59 pm

even with drums brakes on the EX, the stopping power is very good. its only a 120++ hp engine.

forte3737

Back to top Go down

Post by waypoint 29th December 2009, 11:31 pm

But the issue sometimes is the inertia that the brakes have to contend with... In the the Forte's case, the almost 1.3-Tons of KIA's Power To Surprise Engineering.
waypoint
waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by kqkhlj 9th January 2010, 1:22 pm

kia_cerato_forte wrote:
kqkhlj wrote:
kia_cerato_forte wrote:

isn't it?

ic,but EX only 1 air bag

jia lat

er.. personally i am not so interested to use the air bag loh, thats why air bags are the least concern to me.

kqkhlj

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 9th January 2010, 3:38 pm

melburn wrote:

bro

i saw ur forte EX

u install a brake cover

to cover the drum brake

hw much?

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by kqkhlj 25th January 2010, 8:19 pm

under normal braking, does the car use all 4 brakes or only 2 brakes infront?

kqkhlj

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyfox 26th January 2010, 7:44 am

80% of the braking power comes from the front.

This is proven in one of the episode in fifth gear.
crazyfox
crazyfox

Back to top Go down

Post by xcaliber 31st January 2010, 12:29 pm

Yes, most of the brakes power comes from front. I just booked my White EX(A) last week. SE told me Drum Brake is efficient for daily usage and explain to me on other benefits of having EX . lesser FC , key start , non-chrome trimming. Pretty sold to it. now I have to keep my finger crossed for my 3 Feb COE bidding. *Pray* Pray*

xcaliber

Back to top Go down

Post by kia_cerato_forte 11th February 2010, 11:56 pm

the car need more distance to stop at red light? Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Fresse Difference in Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes Fresse

kia_cerato_forte

Back to top Go down

Post by xcaliber 12th February 2010, 12:10 am

longer brake distance also could be EX using 15" stock rim which is 195/65R15 , which have lesser grip (short tyre width) as compared 17" stock rim 215/45R17.just my thoughts

xcaliber

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 12th February 2010, 12:55 pm

Honestly imho, under normal road driving conditions, disc or drum brakes don't matter much considering speed limitations, traffic conditions and general safety.

Anybody with a sound mind and normal appreciation of road safety will be able to brake safely even with the lowest end set of drum brakes with no ABS or any of the electronics assisted systems.

Give a road idiot 18" vent discs with multi ports calipers, best ABS, whatever gadgets and best tyres he'll still be a road idiot.

It's the driver not the car in most cases when stuff happens.

Race is another story though which should be done on tracks.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down