Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Fuel Consumption

+127
joker
vincent76
aural
boardrider02
xominon
eeyore79
lwlty
karabi
fortecstatic
TVaddict
daniu82
jimixer
momopeach
1Seth1
TS
johnkit
sc
JuanST
ace
Divine
yngwie
Fransge
orichi11
hikaru
pessimizt
leo
balonglong_1979
ctoh
Fortise
purple
Happy
amerimacka
longbow
yummyking77
BluZon
Cowstalker
duncton
pl8288
jl1500k
turbo4ev
beckham23
joepele
IronQuest
Jason
lawrenceke
city_snap
FriesL
Cypher
lukester
ck7373
lakopi
cozi
BluRz
mwerkz
waypoint
Andy
Potatoes
charnfai30
chengwei
Flywheel
leedevil
ckpay
PillowER
dipstick
bigbull
cboonh
ozzie75
graysgerald79
The Blue Cruiser
macs
theist
Redbean
Spiritseye
astroboy28
lordhawk
r11s
scorpey
keigo
dreamzzlandz
dc
orions_belt27
saturnz^83
JayJ
pbeyondp
Leonard
loveforte
fonefun610
melburn
meeoows
Pegasus
tiny
KnGp
newsman
Terrier
Arshavin
ano57
NightAngler
Flarea
eraser
dinkodink
chiewjy
nothing
evibot
Juz@kid
thrillman
Real.SHIN
vanilor
impact2001
muff
kapitan
dandeana21
Fortec
tish
hyunjin
soundphile
zlement
luvxiaobeng
whyeme
BeanBag
nocash
greatgazoo
Woody
m
Fortessimo
mooscenic
gravin
Pathfinder
131 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Empty Re: Fuel Consumption

Post by astroboy28 5th September 2009, 3:43 pm

there is a diff bet sx n ex??
astroboy28
astroboy28

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 6th September 2009, 12:28 am

astroboy28 wrote:there is a diff bet sx n ex??

think its due to the rim size.. 17" SX / 15" EX.. so...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 6th September 2009, 12:30 am

btw,
still in run in.. SX A, manage only 8.5l/100km.. now kind of drive normally...
hope it could improve to 13+km / l after 1st servicing..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by fortecstatic 7th September 2009, 4:52 pm

Hi bros & sis,

Anyone tried removing the spare tyre and compared the difference in FC ?

Me thinking of removing it cause its quite heavy and furthermore, in the very rare case that if get puncture, I doubt I would change it myself on Singapore roads. Not that I don't know how, but in Singapore weather + all the car exhaust & dangerous driving out there, by the time I jack up the car, I'll probably be bathing in my own sweat!!! Not forgetting that its quite dangerous to change tyres on our congested roads here.

Carying a spare tyre in other big countries makes sense especially when your on a deserted stretch of road with little help nearby, but in Singapore, I'd rather just call a tow truck & pay a bit more.
Can't imagine if (touch wood) the damn jack fails or you're on a slope or a highway, it will super dangerous to try to change tyres yourself!

So, what do folks think about removing the spare tyre to save FC?

fortecstatic

Back to top Go down

Post by pessimizt 7th September 2009, 5:03 pm

It should improve FC because the total weight of the vehicle will be lighter. But to what extent i will not know because i have not get it removed.

Any bro / sis did it ? Can feedback ? thumbsup
pessimizt
pessimizt

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 7th September 2009, 5:33 pm

be careful with insurance claim too.. iirc some bro mentioned that might affect your ins cover as that is deem as part of the safety feature..too..
not too sure though...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by pessimizt 7th September 2009, 5:36 pm

oh....removing of spare tires will affect insurance ?
thanks for update, will check with AIG then.
pessimizt
pessimizt

Back to top Go down

Post by fortecstatic 7th September 2009, 9:03 pm

Hi Pessimizt,

I suggest you dun ask AIG insurer's, the answer they give you will surely be a "cover backside" answer one....no point. You know insurer's they will sure "kiasu/kiasi one".
In insurance, a lot of things is arguable one...

If you actually read the policy, there is only 1 statement on pg2, section 1.1 that says "The accessories and spare parts must be on your Vehicle at the time of loss, damage or theft."
If one reads it in a "kiasi" way, then AIG can technically say, "yah your damn spare tyre not inside, so we dun pay".

However, by strict interpretation, all those folks who change their rims would have then voided the insurance policy, because the "accessories/spares" are referring to those "that are fitted as standard equipment without change by the car manufacturer or distributer at the time of purchase of your vehicle" (first statement in the same clause).

So, at the end of the day, insurer's words are just slippery interpretation, just like the way AIG mess around with their accounting books ...and got burnt in the last financial crisis...hahaha.

So, my point is just a question on who among our bros/sis have tried removing the spare tyre and compared the FC difference, if any?

fortecstatic

Back to top Go down

Post by karabi 7th September 2009, 9:36 pm

fortecstatic wrote:Hi Pessimizt,

I suggest you dun ask AIG insurer's, the answer they give you will surely be a "cover backside" answer one....no point. You know insurer's they will sure "kiasu/kiasi one".
In insurance, a lot of things is arguable one...

If you actually read the policy, there is only 1 statement on pg2, section 1.1 that says "The accessories and spare parts must be on your Vehicle at the time of loss, damage or theft."
If one reads it in a "kiasi" way, then AIG can technically say, "yah your damn spare tyre not inside, so we dun pay".

However, by strict interpretation, all those folks who change their rims would have then voided the insurance policy, because the "accessories/spares" are referring to those "that are fitted as standard equipment without change by the car manufacturer or distributer at the time of purchase of your vehicle" (first statement in the same clause).

So, at the end of the day, insurer's words are just slippery interpretation, just like the way AIG mess around with their accounting books ...and got burnt in the last financial crisis...hahaha.

So, my point is just a question on who among our bros/sis have tried removing the spare tyre and compared the FC difference, if any?

Wow, words of a wise. Also understand if ppl "kiss" ur back really hard, the spare tire does actually acts like a "air bag".

So depends u want FC or ... worse case scenario angel
karabi
karabi

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 7th September 2009, 11:04 pm

That boot area is reinforced with high tensile steel already. The only area that will crumple in despair is the rear bumper and perhaps 1/4 of the boot area. Unless you are talking about small batchbacks, small sedans, and those under 4 stars crash rating. Furthermore, how serious the rear crash would be? Highway speed of 90km/h whack your rear is not really that serious and the reinforced boot area can absorb that impact. thumbsup So I would say, please go ahead and hack the spare tyre off. Very Happy
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 7th September 2009, 11:35 pm

i would not say so... no matter how save a car is.. never assume ppl will only drive on highway limit... dig a bit on stomp... you could find even some of the best 5 star Encap car turn into... scarp... imagine if this car hit you from the back..(its not entirely impossible?)

http://www.asiaone.com/static/motoring/gallery/loyang_fire/

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 8th September 2009, 12:34 am

there are always some bad lucks here and there. While the assumption that you might get hit by 90km/h at worst on the highway, some might get to you at 100km/h or above. But it don't happen everyday. There is always a certain degree of risks to whatever things we are doing, even as simple as walking to the next street to buy a packet of chicken rice, who knows, some passing cars might knock you down at 100km/h? Wink It is down to your luck, really. But if fearing for an accident is an issue, then my suggestion is, take public transport the safest. grin

back to the topic, to suggest an alternative, I would recommend you to swap your spare tyre with a smaller one like 15" or 16" at a tyre shop to save weight, yet "able to absorb the impact" during an extreme speed rear collision. I love you

btw, that loyang avenue crash is a little out of the context here. It is basically an old, tiny toyota hatchback vs a giant container truck. Even if you have 10 spares on your boot won't help. dogeyes
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by karabi 8th September 2009, 12:44 am

Maybe when it is the time to go, cannot run. Final Destination
karabi
karabi

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 8th September 2009, 1:02 am

yup agree... so there all we are saying is to have the best prepared to take the worst == safety equipment?... all equipment / design are meant for this way... if we solely take on luck then... think there not need for all these safety devices, ESP/ AB/ EBD all are not necessary since we dun need it everyday?...but still we would want it to be there ya?
Even in public transport.. its not entirely save.. guess that explains gov is making great effort to maximize safetly.. i.e speed limit/ bus lanes / smrt platform doors etc etc...

not to start a fire.. this is just to share my pov... heee... peace... I love you

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 8th September 2009, 1:07 am

The White Cruiser wrote:
btw, that loyang avenue crash is a little out of the context here. It is basically an old, tiny toyota hatchback vs a giant container truck. Even if you have 10 spares on your boot won't help. dogeyes

err... that link refers to a subaru legacy (5 stars Encap rating car) crashing into a tree burst into fire.. just look at the shape after the crash had it not catch on fire.. this is just to show how good even the best rating could take a practical test... What a Face

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by fortecstatic 8th September 2009, 10:28 am

Hi Bros & Sis,

I think rear kenna whack is generally less serious than collision from the front, all other things being equal.

If I remember from my last time my Physics lessons; Let's compare say 2 cars A & B, similar size and weight.

Scenario 1)
Car A moving at 80Km/h & car B moving behind in same direction at 110km/h kiss the backside of car A. The "effective" collision speed is actually only 110-80 = 30km/h.

Scenario 2)
Car A stationary 0km/h at red light and car B whack car A at 110km/h from backside. The "effective" collision speed is actually 110km/h.

Scenario 3)
Car A moving at 80km/h while car B driver drank too much vodka and came in from OPPOSITE direction at 110km/h in a head-on collision. The "effective" collisin speed is actually 80+110 = 190km/h !!!

Scenario 3 is almost confirm case one. (touch wood).
Long ago, precisely, because of a head-on collision, my dad's friend actually died even though his car was stationary at a red light.

So, kiss backside cases generally less serious, I say generally, unless we talking about a BIG 3 tonne truck whack a minicooper from behind, then I think mini-cooper become a micro-cooker.

Anyway, I've seen the spare tyre on my Forte SX, and its held down by 1 long screw only...somemore the jack kits & tools are just placed ontop of the wheelbase in a black styrofoam...not secured otherwise. So, in a serious enough "backside" kiss...I think the tools will fly out and become deadly projectiles some more...;-)

Not to scare other Forte Bro's & Sis...just take a look yourselves in your own boot. I guess other types of cars maybe also the same way of putting the spare tire.

Anyway, I digress....my question is again whether anyone has actually removed the spare tire and compared the FC difference ?

fortecstatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th September 2009, 10:43 am

for a few kilos of difference... there should not be much difference if there is any at all......
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by fortecstatic 8th September 2009, 11:02 am

yah maybe you're right...I actually measured the 17inch stock spare tire and its about 25kg.

I guess for near-term not much diff... 8)

fortecstatic

Back to top Go down

Post by fortecstatic 8th September 2009, 11:27 am

Hi JuanST,

Then again, I did a quick calculation and 25kg is almost 2% (1.9% to be exact) of the Forte's kerb weight of about 1300Kg.

Hmm...maybe I'll try removing the spare tire afterall and see the FC savings over time...

fortecstatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 8th September 2009, 11:36 am

FriesL wrote:

err... that link refers to a subaru legacy (5 stars Encap rating car) crashing into a tree burst into fire.. just look at the shape after the crash had it not catch on fire.. this is just to show how good even the best rating could take a practical test... What a Face

That one is different case already. I can't seem to recall back my forgotten physics knowledge but a tree has a smaller area of circumstance than a car's boot, plus it is extremely hard compared to aluminium. So there is less area/space to absorb the impact, making the collision between the car and the tree even more pronounced than between a car and a car. Btw, had it not catch a fire, I think one out of the three Indian passengers could have survived somehow. Btw again, if I am not wrong, that Legacy side-ended the tree. Side is much more weaker than rear and front. Very Happy

Let's come back to the fuel thingy again. 25kg may slightly influence the fuel consumption pattern. "Slightly influence" may not seem 了不起 but it's totally free instead of adding expensive mods here and there to reduce FC. thumbsup
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 8th September 2009, 11:45 am

fortecstatic wrote:yah maybe you're right...I actually measured the 17inch stock spare tire and its about 25kg.

I guess for near-term not much diff... 8)

that means...... 4 main tyres and the spare together is 125kg in total. think not only you need to hack that spare off but also other fours. haha. Laughing
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 8th September 2009, 4:01 pm

yeah... forgetting that quantum physics.. and i think OT too much liao..hee and its not my point to make this thread a collision and safety debate... i agrees to some but disagree to the case too.. but lets just move on... flower

not too sure if we want to really manage that extreme scale of Fuel efficiency... as there are just too much more variables that could affect the FC that is beyond our controls. i.e traffic jam, traffic lights, etc etc...
of course.. its everyone's choice...

happy driving..

thumbsup

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by karabi 8th September 2009, 9:26 pm

Wah, this thread become maths and physics lesson. Both i return to teacher liao. Laughing
karabi
karabi

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th September 2009, 11:34 pm

yalah.... i need to get my books again..... Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_redface but outdated oredi....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 9th September 2009, 2:18 am

maiane leh bro... dun need to get books one... once master see this will sure get a full lesson liao... so... heeee

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fransge 9th September 2009, 9:15 am

haha, my FC improved a lot liao. now is 10.5L/100km (urban), 6.8L/km (Highway) since last service with now 1.5k mileage, i think new oil really helps to decrease the FC. must season the oil after 500km then u can see the difference.
Fransge
Fransge

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 12th September 2009, 1:26 pm

Fransge wrote:haha, my FC improved a lot liao. now is 10.5L/100km (urban), 6.8L/km (Highway) since last service with now 1.5k mileage, i think new oil really helps to decrease the FC. must season the oil after 500km then u can see the difference.

hai...my lateast FC dropped. car abt 8000km now. 1.6EX auto. 2nd servicing over.
best ever fc 12.9km/L
average abt 12.2km/L to 12.4km/L
yesterday dropped to 11.75km/L! dunno why??? Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Kopfschuettel
SPC95 petrol since day one.

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 12th September 2009, 1:30 pm

my fren says his 6 months old honda stream can easily acheive 14km/L!
envy siah! such a big car can get such amazing FC figures!

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 12th September 2009, 1:31 pm

whyeme wrote:my fren says his 6 months old honda stream can easily acheive 14km/L!

i-VTEC, 5-speed tranny, streamlined shape, lightweight... what do you expect? it's a honda. Fuel Consumption - Page 19 332362
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 12th September 2009, 1:58 pm

The White Cruiser wrote:
whyeme wrote:my fren says his 6 months old honda stream can easily acheive 14km/L!

i-VTEC, 5-speed tranny, streamlined shape, lightweight... what do you expect? it's a honda. Fuel Consumption - Page 19 332362

any idea what is the stream's weight?
forte auto ex 1.6 is 1251kg

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 12th September 2009, 2:21 pm

Honda Stream's curb/kerb weight - 1370kg Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_biggrin
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 12th September 2009, 4:04 pm

Is too good to be true for 7 seater 1.8L engine to achieve 14km/L

Reading take from the front display or result take from average reading after few full tanks top up.
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by waypoint 12th September 2009, 4:59 pm

Seriously, how fast and in what type of traffic do those of you who report high FCs drive in? Do you all have a lot of gear/stuff in your boot?

It is NOT impossible to get below 6-l/100-km if you drive under 90-kph with a light foot(below 2500 RPM and up-shift at the earliest) on a 36-km route (72-km to and from work; 90% highway) 5-days a week. Stick to this and yes, even my Boss's 2009 1.8-L Honda Stream can hit 14-km/L which works out to just about 7-l/100-km; not impossible!

Btw, I drive a 1.6 SX(M).

BR,
w a y
waypoint
waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 12th September 2009, 6:26 pm

Well I also drive 1.6SX manual. Not away can hit 7L/100km or 14km/L is always depend on road condition. Expressway sometimes also got jam or slow traffic.
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by waypoint 12th September 2009, 10:10 pm

Totally agree. Very much dependent on traffic also, which I mentioned. It 'helps' when I have to leave for work everyday by 0545hrs Crying or Very sad ; e'ways and roads are generally clearer.

BR,
w a y

jl1500k wrote:Well I also drive 1.6SX manual. Not away can hit 7L/100km or 14km/L is always depend on road condition. Expressway sometimes also got jam or slow traffic.
waypoint
waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by pl8288 12th September 2009, 10:26 pm

jl1500k wrote:Well I also drive 1.6SX manual. Not away can hit 7L/100km or 14km/L is always depend on road condition. Expressway sometimes also got jam or slow traffic.
My avg 8L/100km 70% expressway, SX manual
pl8288
pl8288

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 12th September 2009, 11:28 pm

pl8288 wrote:
My avg 8L/100km 70% expressway, SX manual

Bros, I think you heavy foot? 8L/100km like driving a auto one.
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by lwlty 14th September 2009, 1:51 am

today i test from Air hitam toll to skudai toll.
Average 9.0L/100km, Average speed 137km/h take reading from meter panel.
my 2.0L

lwlty

Back to top Go down

Post by eeyore79 14th September 2009, 12:56 pm

Over the weekend got my best average 7L/100km from KL to sg speed 110km/h used 1/2 tank oil. tested 150-160km/h Car feel better in there at high speed. once reached sg 9-10L/100km Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_sad car feel sick again. 1.6 sx auto
eeyore79
eeyore79

Back to top Go down

Post by lwlty 15th September 2009, 12:26 am

eeyore79 wrote:Over the weekend got my best average 7L/100km from KL to sg speed 110km/h used 1/2 tank oil. tested 150-160km/h Car feel better in there at high speed. once reached sg 9-10L/100km Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_sad car feel sick again. 1.6 sx auto

so far good still got half tankfrom kl to sg

lwlty

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 15th September 2009, 12:28 am

Sigh...
I'm @ my 600km and my avg FC to date is about 10l / 100km.

I was expecting better
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 15th September 2009, 12:53 am

actually for me to achieve around 12km/L to 12.5km/L on my stock 1.6EX auto,
i pump my 4 tyres to 250kpa and upshift below 2.5k rpm and 80% highway.
stock 15inch rims

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 15th September 2009, 12:57 am

250??

Isn't that alittle much?

It's supposed to be 220 right?
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 15th September 2009, 12:31 pm

joepele wrote:250??

Isn't that alittle much?

It's supposed to be 220 right?

yup 220 for most folks but i pump 250 for better FC
and since i used to drive a very bumpy ride i can handle the stiffer ride at 250 Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_smile

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 15th September 2009, 12:58 pm

joepele wrote:Sigh...

I was expecting better

My 1st Full tank 40.4L travel 589KM and FC is 14.5km/L. Mine is 1.6SX Manual. Now 2nd tank and still running in.

I use alot of free gear when downslope / approaching traffic light and engine brake to achieve better FC.

Last edited by jl1500k on 15th September 2009, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 15th September 2009, 1:23 pm

jl1500k wrote:
joepele wrote:Sigh...

I was expecting better

My 1st Full tank travel 589KM and FC is 7.9L/100km. Mine is 1.6SX Manual. Now 2nd tank and still running in.

I use alot of free gear when downslope / approaching traffic light and engine brake to achieve better FC.

I did that too... but my travels are about 40% expressways and 60% city
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 15th September 2009, 1:36 pm

for the past 2 weeks , am 100 city/town driving.... 11L/100km Fuel Consumption - Page 19 Icon_sad
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimixer 15th September 2009, 1:51 pm

An interesting observation!

My first 3 tanks i pump Esso5000... FC ~ 9.8L/100KM

The 4th tank i pump Esso2000... FC improves to ~ 9.3 L/100KM...
I floor more this time round too... Road usage similar to before...
About 80% city/town, 20% highway...

So, i continue to pump Esso2000... Fuel Consumption - Page 19 332362
jimixer
jimixer

Back to top Go down

Post by whyeme 15th September 2009, 2:18 pm

jimixer wrote:An interesting observation!

My first 3 tanks i pump Esso5000... FC ~ 9.8L/100KM

The 4th tank i pump Esso2000... FC improves to ~ 9.3 L/100KM...
I floor more this time round too... Road usage similar to before...
About 80% city/town, 20% highway...

So, i continue to pump Esso2000... Fuel Consumption - Page 19 332362

hmmm...interesting!
maybe i should try spc92

whyeme

Back to top Go down

Post by xominon 15th September 2009, 8:21 pm

hmmmm.... b4 my 1st servicing, FC is 8+ to 9+L/100km. after servicing is 10-11+.

very funny leh
xominon
xominon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next