Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Synthetic & Mineral Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Synthetic & Mineral Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Synthetic & Mineral Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Synthetic & Mineral Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Synthetic & Mineral Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Synthetic & Mineral Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Synthetic & Mineral Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Synthetic & Mineral Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Synthetic & Mineral Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Synthetic & Mineral

+9
nocash
oscar33
tish
loveforte
Divine
leo
joepele
nothing
Tristanity
13 posters

Go down

Synthetic & Mineral Empty Synthetic & Mineral

Post by Tristanity 12th July 2009, 4:05 pm

Beisde the length between each servicing, what is the difference between these 2 engine oils?

Tristanity

Back to top Go down

Synthetic & Mineral Empty Re: Synthetic & Mineral

Post by nothing 13th July 2009, 12:01 am

Go to google it and read up.....
nothing
nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 13th July 2009, 12:10 am

Hi Tri,

Basically, they are the same...

One juz has a longer life than the other.

Since in SGP, we usually get a car shop to do the servicing (and it's not free)... it may be a better idea to use a Syn one.

But of course there are other points to note as well.

See here.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4232672.html

-----
Motor oil is often one of the most popular topics in my car care column, especially around the times when the American Petroleum Institute (API) changes its classifications. Folks also get an itch for this topic whenever the car manufacturers lower the viscosity requirements. And they all seem to do this within a model year of one another. I have a stock answer I give to everyone: Use the grade and viscosity of oil that the owner's manual calls for, regardless of what your Uncle
Charlie uses in his car. Modern engines and modern oils are engineered simultaneously for long engine life, good fuel economySynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10 and proper emissions requirements. If you have an older car, using the API grade of oil (currently SM for gasoline engines and CJ-4 for diesels) is fine—they're designed to be compatible. But stick with the
viscosity rating originally specified by the manufacturer.

But oil viscosity isn't really what I want to talk about here. I'm looking to set the record straight on that old chestnut: synthetic oilSynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10. It's a confusing topic, and there's a lot of rhetoric, largely because some manufacturers and peddlers of synthetics have made a lot of inaccurate and self-serving claims over the years. Some, actually a lot, of this rhetoric is pretty strident and opinionated.

Briefly, there are two types of “synthetic” oils on the market. Group IV oils consist of molecules that are synthesized from simpler chemical compounds. This lets the chemical engineers “tune” the characteristics of a lubricant to exact specifications. These oils flow more freely at extreme low temperatures and don't break down at very high temperatures. As a side benefit, they generally can be specified one or two grades lighter than a mineral oil, which consumes less energy as friction inside the engine and saves fuel. These are superior products, and command a premium price. Mobil 1 is a good example of a high-end Group IV. Group III lubricants are made from reprocessed petroleum products normally left over after making crude oil into gasoline, diesel fuelSynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10, heating oil and other products. They're more modestly priced, and have many of the desirable characteristics of the higher-priced spread. In much of the world outside the USA, Group III-based lubricants are not
permitted to be marketed as “synthetic.” Castrol Syntec is a good example of this type.

Want to use a synthetic—but experiencing sticker shock? You have two options: Hunt for sales and buy a case at a time, or use one of the synthetic “blends.” With a substantial proportion of mineral oil in the mix, these are priced more affordably. They also provide only a proportion of the desirable characteristics of full synthetics.

Conventional mineral oils are simply one of the fractional distillation products from a barrel of crude, occasionally cracked from more viscous products in the refining process.

So, should you use synthetic oil? Depends. Some high-performance and high-end cars come factory filled with synthetic, and you should stick with it. If you live where it gets really frigid in the winter, you might be better off with a synthetic for its superior cold-weather starting. If you tow a trailer and your oil temperature is consistently above 200 F, you should use a synthetic oil and install an auxiliary oil cooler. I use mineral oils in my wife's car, but the race car and the motorcycles use synthetics. It's even more complicated than that—the race car gets a race-specific lubricant, with an additive package not intended for more than a few hundred miles between changes and not for very many cold starts. My Ducati, with its carbon-fiber-based dry clutch, uses an automotive-grade synthetic, while my wet-clutch Triumph uses a motorcycle-specific oil without friction modifiers. Wet-clutch bikes share the engine oil sump with the gearbox and clutch, so the friction modifiers used in auto-type oils might make the organic materials on the clutch plates too slippery and prevent good clutch lockup. If your driving cycle or your vehicle is more average, you probably can drive your car well past 200,000 miles without needing major engine work by using the proper grade of conventional mineral oil and appropriate change intervals.

But don't assume that if a synthetic is so good (read: very expensive) that you don't need to change it as often. The base lubricant may well be better, but the additive package, which can be as much as 25 percent of the volume of product in the bottle, can still become exhausted. And unburned fuel, partially burned hydrocarbons, atmospheric dirt, metal wear particles and blowby carbon particles will build up just as fast in a synthetic-lubricated engine as in one laved in petroleum-based oil. The only way to remove this stuff is to drain and replace the oil. I've always recommended 3000-mile oil changes, but I'm rethinking that. The air cleaners, the compression and oil-control rings and positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) in modern engines are better than ever. The air cleaners admit less abrasive atmospheric dirt, and closely fitted rings keep blowby and particulates above the piston and out of the oil. Sophisticated PCV systems are better at purging water vapor and partial hydrocarbons from the crankcase and burning them off in the engine, so I'm leaning more toward 5000 miles for most people with cars newer than about 1990 or so. As always, your mileage may vary.

-----

Hope this helps.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristanity 13th July 2009, 12:26 pm

joepele wrote:Hi Tri,

Basically, they are the same...

One juz has a longer life than the other.

Since in SGP, we usually get a car shop to do the servicing (and it's not free)... it may be a better idea to use a Syn one.

But of course there are other points to note as well.

See here.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4232672.html

-----
Motor oil is often one of the most popular topics in my car care column, especially around the times when the American Petroleum Institute (API) changes its classifications. Folks also get an itch for this topic whenever the car manufacturers lower the viscosity requirements. And they all seem to do this within a model year of one another. I have a stock answer I give to everyone: Use the grade and viscosity of oil that the owner's manual calls for, regardless of what your Uncle
Charlie uses in his car. Modern engines and modern oils are engineered simultaneously for long engine life, good fuel economySynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10 and proper emissions requirements. If you have an older car, using the API grade of oil (currently SM for gasoline engines and CJ-4 for diesels) is fine—they're designed to be compatible. But stick with the
viscosity rating originally specified by the manufacturer.

But oil viscosity isn't really what I want to talk about here. I'm looking to set the record straight on that old chestnut: synthetic oilSynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10. It's a confusing topic, and there's a lot of rhetoric, largely because some manufacturers and peddlers of synthetics have made a lot of inaccurate and self-serving claims over the years. Some, actually a lot, of this rhetoric is pretty strident and opinionated.

Briefly, there are two types of “synthetic” oils on the market. Group IV oils consist of molecules that are synthesized from simpler chemical compounds. This lets the chemical engineers “tune” the characteristics of a lubricant to exact specifications. These oils flow more freely at extreme low temperatures and don't break down at very high temperatures. As a side benefit, they generally can be specified one or two grades lighter than a mineral oil, which consumes less energy as friction inside the engine and saves fuel. These are superior products, and command a premium price. Mobil 1 is a good example of a high-end Group IV. Group III lubricants are made from reprocessed petroleum products normally left over after making crude oil into gasoline, diesel fuelSynthetic & Mineral Mag-glass_10x10, heating oil and other products. They're more modestly priced, and have many of the desirable characteristics of the higher-priced spread. In much of the world outside the USA, Group III-based lubricants are not
permitted to be marketed as “synthetic.” Castrol Syntec is a good example of this type.

Want to use a synthetic—but experiencing sticker shock? You have two options: Hunt for sales and buy a case at a time, or use one of the synthetic “blends.” With a substantial proportion of mineral oil in the mix, these are priced more affordably. They also provide only a proportion of the desirable characteristics of full synthetics.

Conventional mineral oils are simply one of the fractional distillation products from a barrel of crude, occasionally cracked from more viscous products in the refining process.

So, should you use synthetic oil? Depends. Some high-performance and high-end cars come factory filled with synthetic, and you should stick with it. If you live where it gets really frigid in the winter, you might be better off with a synthetic for its superior cold-weather starting. If you tow a trailer and your oil temperature is consistently above 200 F, you should use a synthetic oil and install an auxiliary oil cooler. I use mineral oils in my wife's car, but the race car and the motorcycles use synthetics. It's even more complicated than that—the race car gets a race-specific lubricant, with an additive package not intended for more than a few hundred miles between changes and not for very many cold starts. My Ducati, with its carbon-fiber-based dry clutch, uses an automotive-grade synthetic, while my wet-clutch Triumph uses a motorcycle-specific oil without friction modifiers. Wet-clutch bikes share the engine oil sump with the gearbox and clutch, so the friction modifiers used in auto-type oils might make the organic materials on the clutch plates too slippery and prevent good clutch lockup. If your driving cycle or your vehicle is more average, you probably can drive your car well past 200,000 miles without needing major engine work by using the proper grade of conventional mineral oil and appropriate change intervals.

But don't assume that if a synthetic is so good (read: very expensive) that you don't need to change it as often. The base lubricant may well be better, but the additive package, which can be as much as 25 percent of the volume of product in the bottle, can still become exhausted. And unburned fuel, partially burned hydrocarbons, atmospheric dirt, metal wear particles and blowby carbon particles will build up just as fast in a synthetic-lubricated engine as in one laved in petroleum-based oil. The only way to remove this stuff is to drain and replace the oil. I've always recommended 3000-mile oil changes, but I'm rethinking that. The air cleaners, the compression and oil-control rings and positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) in modern engines are better than ever. The air cleaners admit less abrasive atmospheric dirt, and closely fitted rings keep blowby and particulates above the piston and out of the oil. Sophisticated PCV systems are better at purging water vapor and partial hydrocarbons from the crankcase and burning them off in the engine, so I'm leaning more toward 5000 miles for most people with cars newer than about 1990 or so. As always, your mileage may vary.

-----

Hope this helps.

Hey bro, thanks for the help!

Tristanity

Back to top Go down

Post by leo 13th July 2009, 3:30 pm

there is also semi-synthetic if you want in between...

if the servicing intervals are short...mineral oil is fine...if you are having long intervals then perhaps synthetic is better.

leo

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 13th July 2009, 5:58 pm

leo wrote:there is also semi-synthetic if you want in between...

if the servicing intervals are short...mineral oil is fine...if you are having long intervals then perhaps synthetic is better.

hahaha... but the problem is paying for workmanship.

Smile
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristanity 13th July 2009, 9:32 pm

Yea man, im doing servicing for around 7months for synthetic.

hope it won't cause any damage to my engine!

Tristanity

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 13th July 2009, 9:44 pm

Tristanity wrote:Yea man, im doing servicing for around 7months for synthetic.

hope it won't cause any damage to my engine!

Actually, I read somewhere that for some oils, it's either 10,000km or 6 months..
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 13th July 2009, 10:04 pm

aiya in simple terms.. they are all lube oil the difference is in they vicosity when in room temp and when they are heated up.. and the dist. they can be filtered and reuse till next service.. mineral oil normally people will use it for running in and very old car where everything is very very lose liao.. for new car normally people will use full syn.. to protect the engine better less enginge drag too for (can only feel obvious diff in high performance car)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 13th July 2009, 11:15 pm

hmmm...my sis car for example (hyundai getz 2004 3dr pinky)
she takes ard 9mths to clock 10,000km. after that then i bring her car for svc at my msia workshop.
until now, NO prob at all.
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 14th July 2009, 12:00 am

so anyone got a good engine brand to recommend, i think someone mention before, I was thinking of OWS.
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by oscar33 14th July 2009, 1:20 am

Personal preference - Amsoil.

Used to get my oil from mxtradings. They carry quite a few popular brands (amsoil, mobil 1, redline, etc) at quite a reasonable price. U may visit their website for details.

http://www.mxtradings.com/index.htm

oscar33

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 14th July 2009, 2:43 am

tish wrote:so anyone got a good engine brand to recommend, i think someone mention before, I was thinking of OWS.

can try blitz, HKS, amsoil, pennzoil, forge Twisted Evil
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by nocash 14th July 2009, 8:32 am

loveforte wrote:
tish wrote:so anyone got a good engine brand to recommend, i think someone mention before, I was thinking of OWS.

Better not try HKS, later go over Hump got Knock Sound... grin
nocash
nocash

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 14th July 2009, 9:19 am

Actually HKS means Hello Kitty Sports
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 14th July 2009, 9:32 am

kapitan wrote:Actually HKS means Hello Kitty Sports

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Laughing Laughing Laughing
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 14th July 2009, 11:58 am

joepele wrote:
kapitan wrote:Actually HKS means Hello Kitty Sports

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
bow bow bow
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by turbo4ev 14th July 2009, 12:07 pm

can bring own oil for servicing?
turbo4ev
turbo4ev

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 14th July 2009, 12:09 pm

turbo4ev wrote:can bring own oil for servicing?

after 5k servicing you still interested to go back to the Cork & Cork for servicing?
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 14th July 2009, 12:12 pm

have to pay them loh.. forgot 1 bottle how much
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by turbo4ev 14th July 2009, 12:16 pm

keigo wrote:

after 5k servicing you still interested to go back to the Cork & Cork for servicing?

not interested, but scare of warranty,.

so we can bring og wn oil, just brin1, 4l oil instead of 4 1l oil loh, hehe
turbo4ev
turbo4ev

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 14th July 2009, 12:34 pm

lol maybe they count by liter.

All i know is as long on and off u go back to clock record can liao .
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by turbo4ev 14th July 2009, 12:55 pm

ohh, then maybe will consider doing outside liao, cus heard C&c very expensive.
turbo4ev
turbo4ev

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 14th July 2009, 2:04 pm

bros for wat i know, the service advisor told me that if i dun use shell my engine warrenty is good as void lolxxx wat rubbish!!!

well 2 of of my personal favorites - FK and KIC engine oil..
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 14th July 2009, 2:15 pm

shell engine oil sucks..
last time used shell helix ultra on my vios b4..
FC jialat...engine noisy affraid
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 14th July 2009, 2:16 pm

nocash wrote:
loveforte wrote:

Better not try HKS, later go over Hump got Knock Sound... grin

but seriously i tried HKS oil on my vios, quite gd...
more responsive.
but engine oil change at 5k interval
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by turbo4ev 14th July 2009, 2:22 pm

think we sld start a poll on wat engine oil to use and the viscosity as some are reaching 10k soon ba.
i now 1 k already looking for wat oil to use.
turbo4ev
turbo4ev

Back to top Go down

Post by leo 14th July 2009, 2:28 pm

ferrari also use shell helix wor...hehehehe

actually its quite the same like petrol...which do you prefer..

leo

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 14th July 2009, 3:10 pm

there is a thread on engine oil liao.... must look for it...
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by Merduka 22nd July 2009, 11:52 pm

Hi all,

Used to drive a proton manual where I add badhl oil treatment. Anyone care to share if we can use this with syntethic oil?

Merduka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down