Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Which job offer would you take? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Which job offer would you take? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Which job offer would you take? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Which job offer would you take? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Which job offer would you take? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Which job offer would you take? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Which job offer would you take? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Which job offer would you take? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Which job offer would you take? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Which job offer would you take?

+21
Kiang
redkoup
qbear
Daniel^Bigcow
KingJerry
pessimizt
Fortessimo
winn
ano57
Juz@kid
Forte002
FriesL
jeff2510
Siaoster
kapitan
psionix
whitechoco
NiVleK
joepele
JuanST
samuelj
25 posters

Go down

Which job offer would you take? Empty Which job offer would you take?

Post by samuelj 2nd February 2010, 8:58 am

Both are in sales... One in property sales, the other in a bank. The property sales pay you about 2k per month excluding commission and you get approx only $750 - $1500 in commission every month and you always got to wait 3 months (If lucky) for your commission to be credited into your account.

Now the bank pays you a basic of about 2.6k per month excluding commission and your commission can hit about 2-3k on average per month. Payment of commission is usually on time (the following month).

However, working hours for the bank may be longer and more draining. It however gives you better career advancement from a personal banker all the way up to a private banker (Your career path is mapped out). The property line career path isn't mapped out for you.

For the property, there isnt much training needed. For the bank you got to undergo a 1 year training where managers will train/mentor and coach you to sell products. You got to take financial papers (Which i SUCK badly). And finally on the job training.

I am a family man with a kid about to be due soon in June.

SO which job would you choose?

Only CONSTRUCTIVE comments welcome pls.

samuelj

Back to top Go down

Which job offer would you take? Empty Re: Which job offer would you take?

Post by JuanST 2nd February 2010, 9:05 am

i can only opine with the bank environment.

if u r more of a "manager" , a person who thrive in a very structured environment, i say go for the bank job. it is secure and has good benefits....but work is long....and corporate knives are very sharp.
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 2nd February 2010, 9:09 am

It really depends on the life station that you are in now...

e.g.
If you are single and young... - Chiong ah...

If you have a family... you may wanna consider a job that would give more work life balance.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by NiVleK 2nd February 2010, 12:05 pm

I would say bank.
NiVleK
NiVleK

Back to top Go down

Post by whitechoco 2nd February 2010, 12:09 pm

I would say bank too.. since u r a family man with a kid due soon. it's good to have something more stable
whitechoco
whitechoco

Back to top Go down

Post by psionix 2nd February 2010, 1:50 pm

hi samuelj,

everyone have their own priorities. while it is true u earn more as a banker but you have to ask if you want to lead a life whereby u reach home to only see your child sleeping already?

food for thought.

psionix

Back to top Go down

Post by samuelj 2nd February 2010, 1:53 pm

yea i understand, but is it really true that most bankers work like hell? Because what I heard is they basically work 24/7 like 12 hours a day.....

samuelj

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 2nd February 2010, 1:59 pm

samuelj wrote:yea i understand, but is it really true that most bankers work like hell? Because what I heard is they basically work 24/7 like 12 hours a day.....

take the bank

Last edited by kapitan on 2nd February 2010, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by psionix 2nd February 2010, 2:01 pm

samuelj, yes this one I can confirm. hahaha... my own sister often comes home bout 0200hrs or after. She is young and not married yet. Maybe there are some exceptional cases

Thats why if you really go into the banking line, you need to have the determination. If you think you can accept it, go for it Wink

Good luck bro.

psionix

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 2nd February 2010, 2:02 pm

psionix wrote:samuelj, yes this one I can confirm. hahaha... my own sister often comes home bout 0200hrs or after. She is young and not married yet. Maybe there are some exceptional cases

Thats why if you really go into the banking line, you need to have the determination. If you think you can accept it, go for it Wink

Good luck bro.

young and not married, coming home at 0200 hrs will be normal and maybe not related to work...hahha

Last edited by kapitan on 2nd February 2010, 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Siaoster 2nd February 2010, 2:08 pm

samuelj wrote:Both are in sales... One in property sales, the other in a bank. The property sales pay you about 2k per month excluding commission and you get approx only $750 - $1500 in commission every month and you always got to wait 3 months (If lucky) for your commission to be credited into your account.

Now the bank pays you a basic of about 2.6k per month excluding commission and your commission can hit about 2-3k on average per month. Payment of commission is usually on time (the following month).

However, working hours for the bank may be longer and more draining. It however gives you better career advancement from a personal banker all the way up to a private banker (Your career path is mapped out). The property line career path isn't mapped out for you.

For the property, there isnt much training needed. For the bank you got to undergo a 1 year training where managers will train/mentor and coach you to sell products. You got to take financial papers (Which i SUCK badly). And finally on the job training.

Haaa if you notice, you had stated more advantages for the banking sectors.
So you actually do have an answer, jus that you need more opinions to push you through it.
Go for THE BANK !! thumbsup
Siaoster
Siaoster

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff2510 2nd February 2010, 2:16 pm

Bro, I'm not going to give you advise on which job to take since I know very little on job nature for this 2 post.

However, what I can say is once you have a kid. Your priority change. I have 2 kids currently (5 yr & 4 yr). It give me great satisfaction talking & playing with them at night before they go to sleep. I feel good going to work after bringing them to school every morning.

But then again, it is your choice lar. $$ or family life? depend whta kind of lifestyle you want to have thumbsup

However, once decided, dun regret lar Very Happy

jeff2510

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 2nd February 2010, 2:56 pm

I would say both job offers very different environments i think..ya? which one do you really like.. for every job if successful can be a career..
if you success in a line usu u ended up very busy.. and $$ will come, just like our kapi here ya?? heee..

With family and kids coming, think one should really think of which environment (or path) you'll prefer.. should both $$ could sustain you that is.. switching trade later maybe a bigger concern for a family man i think.

just my 2 cents.
Good luck..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 2nd February 2010, 3:02 pm

FriesL wrote:if you success in a line usu u ended up very busy.. and $$ will come, just like our kapi here ya?? heee..

Good luck..

nothing to do with me... I don't make plenty, enough to afford a comfortable life... husband and wife combine income can afford us things that we want, not need.... hahahaa
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Forte002 2nd February 2010, 3:13 pm

samuelj wrote:Both are in sales... One in property sales, the other in a bank. The property sales pay you about 2k per month excluding commission and you get approx only $750 - $1500 in commission every month and you always got to wait 3 months (If lucky) for your commission to be credited into your account.

How come in property sales, your comission is so low? Usually in property, the commission is very high!

I though in property sales, you also have to work irregular hour?

Forte002

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 2nd February 2010, 3:29 pm

Read
irregular hour == Flexible time..heee.. Wink

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Juz@kid 2nd February 2010, 4:25 pm

Go for the Bank job...

Better prospect, future for u n ur family...
Juz@kid
Juz@kid

Back to top Go down

Post by ano57 2nd February 2010, 4:37 pm

Looks like the POT points towards Banker...

I am in for tat too if i there's lobang... ^_^

Let the dice roll !
Which job offer would you take? Funny-pictures-banker-cat
ano57
ano57

Back to top Go down

Post by winn 2nd February 2010, 4:43 pm

hey bro,

you only restricting yourself to these two?

Property Sales and Bank Sales?

.. I mean if Kids, and family time is important to you.. you should consider other 9 - 5 jobs.

Both sales jobs will work through the night... Property .. pple see on weekend and nights leh?

.. but anyway.. between these 2.. its obviously Bank sales... because at least that one, the clients are given to you internally.

Property.. you have to be damn driven.... to find your own client list... none of the agencies will give you a fruitful list... they always give you 2nd rate lists.. and that determines your income.

so, if you really want 9-5 with kids and stability.. maybe you should look elsewhere.

if you want money from a sales job .. clearly the bank is a better deal.
winn
winn

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 2nd February 2010, 6:45 pm

kapitan wrote:
FriesL wrote:if you success in a line usu u ended up very busy.. and $$ will come, just like our kapi here ya?? heee..

Good luck..

nothing to do with me... I don't make plenty, enough to afford a comfortable life... husband and wife combine income can afford us things that we want, not need.... hahahaa

thumbsup

btw, to TS
Choice is clear here, rest up to you...
Good luck..hee..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortessimo 2nd February 2010, 8:16 pm

Samuel....take up the FEO job to gain some experience. After that jump to banking sector/ be a property agent cos you can learn alot from FEO if you are a fast learner. I was previously working there. Not tat bad la....just that long working hours.
Fortessimo
Fortessimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortessimo 2nd February 2010, 8:17 pm

By the way, i still got my ex GM's contact. You wan i can call his secretary to arrange a interview for you. Which job offer would you take? 332362

Can call me at 98139391 so i can tell u more about the job at FEO. Haha...
Fortessimo
Fortessimo

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 3rd February 2010, 8:44 am

what is FEO?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by pessimizt 3rd February 2010, 8:55 am

Financial Executive Officer ? Which job offer would you take? Icon_rolleyes
Finance Executive Officer
pessimizt
pessimizt

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 3rd February 2010, 9:04 am

JuanST wrote:what is FEO?

the big boss just passed on,.. that FEO.
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingJerry 3rd February 2010, 11:24 am

far east organization

Smile
KingJerry
KingJerry

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel^Bigcow 3rd February 2010, 11:42 am

Ahh!! 1 of spore's richest man has passed on!! Also, 1 of the closest property and developer tycoon closes to the spore govt (Lee family). :-)

FEO has a reputation of being bad paymasters. I dunno if its the same for their staff tho. :-)

Property side who looking after now?? Dorothy?? Heard she mellowed down a lot in recent years!! :-)
Daniel^Bigcow
Daniel^Bigcow

Back to top Go down

Post by qbear 3rd February 2010, 3:22 pm

weigh carefully coz for the banks..ur head may be on the chopping board when u hit over 40... one reason why I left it for diversified experiences.

Property? If u really want, maybe better to strike out on your own. Lousy title but hey... comission is good.
qbear
qbear

Back to top Go down

Post by redkoup 3rd February 2010, 3:55 pm

samuelj, if the bank salary is abt 2.6k, it sounds like a lowly position and tink you're better off doing property or any other form of sales.

your opportunity cost is low but the upside is high. if you're still young, learn the trade and be professional and dun be like those CMI agents tok kok that know nothing.

good luck.
redkoup
redkoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel^Bigcow 3rd February 2010, 7:52 pm

Well, like any sales job, you gotta be prepared for good times and bad times. Especially if you have a family to support. :-)

Guess thats the only advise I can give. Dun overspend just cos your current sales figures are good. :-)
Daniel^Bigcow
Daniel^Bigcow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiang 3rd February 2010, 8:57 pm

bro hope i can help u ....

Well, i jus become father ..... juzr 2 mths ago ..

frankly speaking , family needs u to be around especally in 1st few mths until both mum n child settle down ...

so u asking One in property sales, the other in a bank ...
both job does needs time ..

for property has a more fexi working hours but confirm wkends will burnt lor ... n
bank, fix working hours or even stay late ...

so end of the day .... 1ST: talk to your wife .... get her opoion lor ... 2nD: think about wat ur wife told u ..... 3Rd: ACTION ....

hope it helps
Kiang
Kiang

Back to top Go down

Post by samuelj 3rd February 2010, 10:31 pm

Thanks guys~ I will have a good talk with her and our parents. I did ask her but she keep saying she will support me in whatever career path I decide to venture into. Nevertheless I want the best for her and our kids lah....

samuelj

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortessimo 3rd February 2010, 10:47 pm

samuelj wrote:Thanks guys~ I will have a good talk with her and our parents. I did ask her but she keep saying she will support me in whatever career path I decide to venture into. Nevertheless I want the best for her and our kids lah....

Samuel, the property sales job although long working hours. But got ways to siam and spend quality time with ur wife one. Haha...i go kopi with friends sometimes during working hours. =X

Banking job, i see my friends work i also feel tired for them. Recently one friend from Stanchart quit his job due to stress. He relax for 2-3 mths liao....still wan to relax cos last job shag him out. haha...
Fortessimo
Fortessimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nolicense2 3rd February 2010, 11:07 pm

I would choose bank.......hehe......
Nolicense2
Nolicense2

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 3rd February 2010, 11:40 pm

bank job got so bad rep.....hehehehehe long hours and hard work.... Which job offer would you take? Icon_smile
oso get chopped if ur over 40......
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupedKoup 20th February 2010, 5:05 pm

Late reply but you so lucky, can have 2 offers on the platter for you to consider?

Usually, when you go for numerous interviews, they all come back at
different times. The worst dilemma is when the job you really want gets
back last.

So, in this case, would you take an offer that comes along, or wait hopefully that your ideal job offers?

The problem comes when you reject the other offers and finally your ideal job rejects you too Sad

Anyway, I'd say bank too. My friend in private banking; seems fairly 'relaxed'. Just that he works during US market hours.
SoupedKoup
SoupedKoup

Back to top Go down

Post by The Blue Cruiser 20th February 2010, 7:04 pm

i would take a job offer offered by myself. Which job offer would you take? Icon_biggrin
The Blue Cruiser
The Blue Cruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by lBlOlSlSl 22nd February 2010, 8:32 pm

I am a SPB and I can tell u 2 things abt sales....one: u cant do it forever. Two - Bank is a good steping stone to move somewhere. Pay wise...see u value now or future more lor. Smile

But nt everyone can do sales...nth to do with wat Qualification u have. My ah beng friend(N-level) sell house nw own BMW 7 series and alot of grads in my bank still tryin nt to thio pok.

Find what u think u better in and drill!
lBlOlSlSl
lBlOlSlSl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down