Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ?

+19
viper007
JF_Koup
unlimitedz
NiVleK
leon76
joA
epig
tarepanda_lyh
nocash
jeRrRKKKK
kenincf
ace
loveforte
kapitan
xianren
lukester
FriesL
JuanST
my_motor
23 posters

Go down

should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ?

Post by my_motor 8th December 2009, 2:34 pm

I would like to know whether should we change the gear from D to N during traffic light ? I can hear a faint kind of sound like da..da..da..da..da when my gear is D or R with brake depress (car stopped). These has to be done in a quiet night or place in order to hear that sound. If I change to N or P that sound stopped. Anyone know what is that sound or encounter it before ? Will it damage the gear box (Forte) ?

my_motor

Back to top Go down

should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty Re: should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ?

Post by JuanST 8th December 2009, 2:34 pm

D
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Empty Re: should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ?

Post by FriesL 8th December 2009, 3:03 pm

think with N your car cannot move right?
for me, i shift to N if the stop with engine running for some time,

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by my_motor 8th December 2009, 3:18 pm

FriesL wrote:think with N your car cannot move right?
for me, i shift to N if the stop with engine running for some time,

yes, car fully stop.

my_motor

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 8th December 2009, 3:27 pm

just remain as it is usually "D".

no diff on anything, not even fuel consumption. cos ur engine will constantly be idle and running on 500 or 700 rpm. N just means ur gear is not engage thats all.

switching often would only make ur left arm muscle bigger.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th December 2009, 3:29 pm

lukester wrote:just remain as it is usually "D".

no diff on anything, not even fuel consumption. cos ur engine will constantly be idle and running on 500 or 700 rpm. N just means ur gear is not engage thats all.

switching often would only make ur left arm muscle bigger.

and the gear box spoil faster....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by xianren 8th December 2009, 3:37 pm

Shift to N when you are motionless more than 1 min. Else just remain at D.

xianren

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th December 2009, 3:42 pm

xianren wrote:Shift to N when you are motionless more than 1 min. Else just remain at D.

advantage?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 8th December 2009, 3:47 pm

remain at D... left foot step on brake... right foot on accelerator... lights turn green... step on accelerator, release left foot and first off the block...
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 8th December 2009, 3:55 pm

no wonder kapi is always first off the block...
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 8th December 2009, 4:00 pm

stay on 'D'
if every traffic light or jam we put 'N'...'D'....'N' as wad i agree...it will spoil our expensive auto gearbox even faster. u noe...auto gearbox cant b repaired... whereas manual possible
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 8th December 2009, 4:04 pm

yeah.. Unless stop for a long time, like over few minutes... else just tap brake will do... but then... with gear pressure always clutch... won't tat cause the same thing? esp with our gear system that can just shift freely...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 8th December 2009, 5:01 pm

i guess auto gearbox are designed to stay in D even when stationary, but not constant switching
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by ace 8th December 2009, 5:24 pm

I always shift to N....

The old story that constant shifting will damage the gearbox is more than 10 years old......

The important thing is to take care of the gearbox and how you shift it.....shift gently and it should be fine. Change the oil at scheduled time.

Treat it roughly and the gearbox will get angry one day and throw tantrum.

ace

Back to top Go down

Post by kenincf 8th December 2009, 11:14 pm

When arriving to the red traffic light, I always shift to N in advance and let it cruise. Then I just need to give a slight brake, and the car is stopped.

When arriving to the green traffic light, I accelerate. Wink
kenincf
kenincf

Back to top Go down

Post by my_motor 9th December 2009, 1:22 am

kenincf wrote:When arriving to the red traffic light, I always shift to N in advance and let it cruise. Then I just need to give a slight brake, and the car is stopped.

When arriving to the green traffic light, I accelerate. Wink

I read from http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2645159&hl=converter*

someone mentioned that "By shifting into neutral, torque converter does not have any fluid going through it & it might increase temperature of torque converter. Heat is 1 of the killer of torque converter." It seemed that quite alot of people go for D gear... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Confused

my_motor

Back to top Go down

Post by jeRrRKKKK 9th December 2009, 9:18 am

the repair cost for a spoilt auto transmission is not cheap
i guess for me i'd rather press brake than to fork out 2k just to repair my auto

but i drive a manual la Smile

jeRrRKKKK

Back to top Go down

Post by nocash 9th December 2009, 9:46 am

Got "N" meh.....i never use it before ever since my first ride. should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_lol
nocash
nocash

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 9th December 2009, 10:51 am

Nocash u drive manual ah...?
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 9th December 2009, 12:33 pm

attended the Kia car seminar last Sat, same qn pops up and the Kia "experts" dun recommend drivers to change to N while waiting at traffic junctions, unless there are jams which are like those in Bangkok
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by loveforte 9th December 2009, 3:58 pm

yeap...actually tat apples to all auto trans veh. not only KIA models
loveforte
loveforte

Back to top Go down

Post by epig 9th December 2009, 7:28 pm

tarepanda_lyh wrote:attended the Kia car seminar last Sat, same qn pops up and the Kia "experts" dun recommend drivers to change to N while waiting at traffic junctions, unless there are jams which are like those in Bangkok

PAPA XIONG!!! lol.. damn time no see.. hmm.. lol..

eh.. u attended the seminar ah, they they teach or talk there?

care to share?
epig
epig

Back to top Go down

Post by joA 9th December 2009, 7:39 pm

tarepanda_lyh wrote:attended the Kia car seminar last Sat, same qn pops up and the Kia "experts" dun recommend drivers to change to N while waiting at traffic junctions, unless there are jams which are like those in Bangkok

oh? how come got seminar one? how u got to noe of the seminar huh? share some tips lei.. Smile
joA
joA

Back to top Go down

Post by leon76 9th December 2009, 11:54 pm

They send letter mah, u guys never received? But what i remember is got to pay a bit should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_mad

leon76

Back to top Go down

Post by NiVleK 10th December 2009, 12:43 am

Use D for traffic light...used that for years on my current car...no issue and technically, I dun see the point of putting to N during Auto.

Stopping for long time? P pls.
NiVleK
NiVleK

Back to top Go down

Post by unlimitedz 10th December 2009, 12:55 am

Use P better should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_lol
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 10th December 2009, 8:54 am

maybe go by foot will be even better.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 10th December 2009, 9:41 am

care to share?

oh? how come got seminar one? how u got to noe of the seminar huh? share some tips lei.. should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_smile

as i'm 1st time driver, so decided to attend..pay $10 for it... I believe some of our fellow bros here also attended

anyway, there's quite a few tips but i just remember those applicable to me... and i think most of the bros here may already knows...
(Disclaimer: these are just tips, you can dun follow)

1. use of sportronics - u dun have to release acc pedal to change from D to sportronics, and when going down a hill/mountain (like Genting) use gear 1 or 2.
2. brakes - brake pedal lock 4 wheels while handbrake lock front 2 wheels
3. Engine oil - ideally change every 6 months, even if you dun drive often
4. FC - if switch off air-con and wind down windows while travelling, it may not improve FC as car aero-dynamic is gone

Last edited by tarepanda_lyh on 10th December 2009, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add new words to improve understanding)
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 10th December 2009, 10:27 am

5. Petrol - for Forte, recommend 95, but 92 also can
6. spark plugs - use recommended measurements, if not may spoil engine (according to them, they've serviced some cars with spoilt engine due to wrong spark plug measurement)
7. Speed - ideally at 90-100km/hr for good FC
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by JF_Koup 10th December 2009, 10:36 am

thanks for the tips! Smile
JF_Koup
JF_Koup

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 10th December 2009, 10:37 am

tarepanda_lyh wrote:5. Petrol - for Forte, recommend 95, but 92 also can
6. spark plugs - use recommended measurements, if not may spoil engine (according to them, they've serviced some cars with spoilt engine due to wrong spark plug measurement)

sorry huh, i am looking for spark plug, they mentioned correct measurement right?

so did they say what is the measurement? too lazy to check.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 10th December 2009, 10:57 am

Wah.. thanks for saving me 10 bucks.. :lol.. too busy..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 10th December 2009, 11:19 am

sorry huh, i am looking for spark plug, they mentioned correct measurement right?

so did they say what is the measurement? too lazy to check.

sorry bro, I didn't take down the measurement as they mention it can be found in our car manual
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 10th December 2009, 11:31 am

orhhh
okie, thanks
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by viper007 10th December 2009, 11:33 am

ya i have been on D all the while unless major jams then also sometime i will shift to N
viper007
viper007

Back to top Go down

Post by unlimitedz 10th December 2009, 6:10 pm

TY for sharing!!!
tarepanda_lyh wrote:5. Petrol - for Forte, recommend 95, but 92 also can
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 10th December 2009, 6:13 pm

tarepanda_lyh wrote:

we will have good FC but later we will be poor due to TP fines..... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_smile
just now , i was running 110 in pie and i overtook policecar and noticed too late.... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_redface
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 10th December 2009, 6:39 pm

i always very aware of police cars one.

hahaha

u suay bro.

maybe he didn't notice.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 10th December 2009, 8:53 pm

JuanST wrote:
tarepanda_lyh wrote:

we will have good FC but later we will be poor due to TP fines..... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_smile
just now , i was running 110 in pie and i overtook policecar and noticed too late.... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_redface

maybe police car got no speed camera should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_lol
sometime i feel police car also bo chap...unless they dun like ur car/face, then they will book u ...TP will be diff, they will come after u
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpey 10th December 2009, 9:28 pm

i also put to D while at traffic lights and its seem like it is the "correct" way to do.. so when do we actualli engage N huh? i used to drive manual car.. the 'N' is like quite "useless" haha..
scorpey
scorpey

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 11th December 2009, 9:00 am

scorpey wrote:i also put to D while at traffic lights and its seem like it is the "correct" way to do.. so when do we actualli engage N huh? i used to drive manual car.. the 'N' is like quite "useless" haha..

if u encounter jams that are similar to those in Bangkok, maybe N will come in handy
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by kenincf 11th December 2009, 10:00 am

tarepanda_lyh wrote:
scorpey wrote:i also put to D while at traffic lights and its seem like it is the "correct" way to do.. so when do we actualli engage N huh? i used to drive manual car.. the 'N' is like quite "useless" haha..

if u encounter jams that are similar to those in Bangkok, maybe N will come in handy

"similar to those in Bangkok" meaning what kind of jam? Something like the jam we have when going to JB on Friday evening?
kenincf
kenincf

Back to top Go down

Post by tarepanda_lyh 12th December 2009, 8:32 pm

kenincf wrote:
tarepanda_lyh wrote:

"similar to those in Bangkok" meaning what kind of jam? Something like the jam we have when going to JB on Friday evening?

the JB jam not as bad...bangkok jam is like u can remain in one place for long period of time, without moving ur car
tarepanda_lyh
tarepanda_lyh

Back to top Go down

Post by jl1500k 12th December 2009, 10:12 pm

While waiting for someone for 5 to 10mins. Maybe can put to "N" lor.
jl1500k
jl1500k

Back to top Go down

Post by longbow 12th December 2009, 11:05 pm

JuanST wrote:
tarepanda_lyh wrote:

how? did you get a summon? should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_eek
longbow
longbow

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 12th December 2009, 11:08 pm

send letter bah, just like those LTA or traffic light offences.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 12th December 2009, 11:20 pm

longbow wrote:
JuanST wrote:
tarepanda_lyh wrote:

how? did you get a summon? should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_eek

havent and check axs whether got outstanding fines... dun have so far.... maybe lucky... should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher 16th December 2009, 12:54 pm

tarepanda_lyh wrote:

care to share?

oh? how come got seminar one? how u got to noe of the seminar huh? share some tips lei.. should use D or N during traffic light for Auto ? Icon_smile

as i'm 1st time driver, so decided to attend..pay $10 for it... I believe some of our fellow bros here also attended

anyway, there's quite a few tips but i just remember those applicable to me... and i think most of the bros here may already knows...
(Disclaimer: these are just tips, you can dun follow)

1. use of sportronics - u dun have to release acc pedal to change from D to sportronics, and when going down a hill/mountain (like Genting) use gear 1 or 2.
2. brakes - brake pedal lock 4 wheels while handbrake lock front 2 wheels
3. Engine oil - ideally change every 6 months, even if you dun drive often
4. FC - if switch off air-con and wind down windows while travelling, it may not improve FC as car aero-dynamic is gone

Should be rear not front.
Cypher
Cypher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down