Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

7% GST payable for purchases overseas

+4
JuanST
KingJerry
ace
Elixir99
8 posters

Go down

7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty 7% GST payable for purchases overseas

Post by Elixir99 10th December 2009, 11:53 pm

Hi all,

Read the papers and came across the topic. Any idea what is the logic to impose GST for purchases done overseas???? scratch
Elixir99
Elixir99

Back to top Go down

7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty Re: 7% GST payable for purchases overseas

Post by ace 11th December 2009, 12:19 am

I'm not sure but it seems to implied where is it finally consumed.

When you bought the goods overseas, and bring it back, you are deem to be transporting it back to the place of final consumption. The place where you bought the goods seems to be irrelevent.

It would seems that for ease of compliance, we can bring goods in tax free up to a certain amount, anything above that amount would attracts GST....

That clown who wrote in the paper claimed ignorance.....but ignorance is not a defence where tax law is concerned. When you arrived back from overseas, and you go to the duty free shop to buy wine, beer, etc, you are allow a certain allowance limit of tax free purchases.....so expand that idea to goods you buy back from overseas and the tax law is clear as night and day. Expand the same idea to importing cars. CnC bought the cars in Korea and shipped it back to Singapore....to sell to you....who pays the tax? You, the buyer, pays the tax. If CnC is that clown who complains loudly in the paper, and CnC tries to walk pass the Custom with the Fortes without paying tax. What happens? CnC will be stopped and slapped with GST. Take the scenarios and applies it to the parallel importers...same laws applies.....everything we have here are imported....unless it is specifically declared to be duty free, everything is taxable...if it is consumed here. When you buy a plane ticket and travel overseas, the plane ticket and the hotel cost are not taxable in Singapore as it is consumed overseas. But than again, you pay the tax to the overseas tax authorities. So there is nothing mysterious about having to pay GST when your purchases exceed the allowable limit given by the tax authority.

That is how I see the situation......but I could be wrong in the interpretation. But overall it looks logical.

ace

Back to top Go down

7% GST payable for purchases overseas Empty Re: 7% GST payable for purchases overseas

Post by KingJerry 11th December 2009, 1:52 am

Yea. Can't remember what was the amount. Any higher, you need to pay GST.

I kana before when i imported some stuff to sell last time.
KingJerry
KingJerry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 11th December 2009, 6:59 am

KingJerry wrote:Yea. Can't remember what was the amount. Any higher, you need to pay GST.

that is double taxation since most countries got their gst versions oso.... 7% GST payable for purchases overseas Icon_cry
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 11th December 2009, 7:01 am

this is as good as saying.... dun buy from other countries.... 7% GST payable for purchases overseas Icon_evil
is this some form of protectionism?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 11th December 2009, 9:32 am

JuanST wrote:
KingJerry wrote:Yea. Can't remember what was the amount. Any higher, you need to pay GST.

that is double taxation since most countries got their gst versions oso.... 7% GST payable for purchases overseas Icon_cry

no, most countries have a system in place where a foreigner not residing in the country can claim VAT refund at the point of departure....
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by kysoong 11th December 2009, 9:47 am

As extracted from ica website:

GST Relief
If you are a bona fide traveler* you will be given GST relief on new articles, souvenirs, gifts and food preparations (excluding intoxicating liquors and tobacco) up to the following values, depending on your age and the number of hours you have spent outside of Singapore immediately before your arrival, as specified in the table below:

Period Away From Singapore
Below 18 years of age
18 years of age and above
Less than 24 hours
No Relief
$50
24 to less than 48 hours
$50
$150
48 hours and above
$100
$300

If the value of your goods exceeds the stipulated limits, please declare them at the Red Channel. Goods exceeding your GST relief may be brought in only on payment of GST at the Customs Office. To facilitate payment, please produce your receipts and invoices to the officer.

For more information on GST Relief, please visit the Singapore Customs website.

*Not applicable to holders of a work permit, employment pass, student pass, dependent pass or long-term pass issued by the Singapore Government
kysoong
kysoong

Back to top Go down

Post by kapitan 11th December 2009, 9:54 am

kysoong wrote:As extracted from ica website:

GST Relief
If you are a bona fide traveler* you will be given GST relief on new articles, souvenirs, gifts and food preparations (excluding intoxicating liquors and tobacco) up to the following values, depending on your age and the number of hours you have spent outside of Singapore immediately before your arrival, as specified in the table below:

Period Away From Singapore

Below 18 years of age

18 years of age and above

Less than 24 hours

No Relief

$50

24 to less than 48 hours

$50

$150

48 hours and above

$100

$300

If the value of your goods exceeds the stipulated limits, please declare them at the Red Channel. Goods exceeding your GST relief may be brought in only on payment of GST at the Customs Office. To facilitate payment, please produce your receipts and invoices to the officer.

For more information on GST Relief, please visit the Singapore Customs website.

*Not applicable to holders of a work permit, employment pass, student pass, dependent pass or long-term pass issued by the Singapore Government

how many actually declare...... especially new clothes etc,.... best is when packing to come home, remove those label from the new clothes, especially if they are designer stuff....
kapitan
kapitan

Back to top Go down

Post by godspeedyou 11th December 2009, 10:01 am

clothes remove tag, shoes w/o box. and if coming in from Malaysia buying groceries, best to keep receipt in the bag also.
godspeedyou
godspeedyou

Back to top Go down

Post by kenneth 11th December 2009, 10:06 am

If you buy online and ship to singapore, anything less than SGD$400 no need to give GST but if more than SGD$400 the item(s) will be subject to GST for example

item price $400 = $400+ 0% GST = $400
item price $401 = $401 + 7% GST = $429.07

but i don't whether is this applicable for buying thing from malaysia.

I think should be the same bah.

kenneth

Back to top Go down

Post by kysoong 11th December 2009, 10:08 am

godspeedyou wrote:clothes remove tag, shoes w/o box. and if coming in from Malaysia buying groceries, best to keep receipt in the bag also.

Yup, best to keep ur receipts in case need for verification. 7% GST payable for purchases overseas Icon_razz
kysoong
kysoong

Back to top Go down

Post by Elixir99 13th December 2009, 12:31 am

I would think that things we purchase from overseas not meant for re-sale should not be tax... coz oversea have their own tax system. I look at it like double taxation.... Evil or Very Mad

Goods not purchase here no service enjoy here, then why "goods & services" tax???? scratch
Elixir99
Elixir99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum