Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
Tested SX ABS braking system Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

Tested SX ABS braking system

+13
muff
aural
rickong
Bed
KnightRider
joepele
JuanST
Spiritseye
liplip
KingJerry
karabi
longbow
lukester
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tested SX ABS braking system Empty Tested SX ABS braking system

Post by lukester 16th November 2009, 11:25 pm

I just tested our trusted ABS brake on my SX today.

Its not really because I want to test it, but the situation made me put it to the test. So how do I really know if ABS was activated? Well, i could hear my wheels being locked when I jammed my brakes hard.

It all happened when I was on the way back from work today on the PIE towards Jurong. And as you all know that its a rather wet day today and road extremely slippery. Being a Monday, that didn't help. Like everyone else, I was also trying to rush home for dinner on a Monday.

The even more exciting part on this trip was the fact that an ambulance was on the PIE. So as a nice driver, I naturally switch from the lane 1 to lane 2 and gave way to the ambulance. After a while, when I saw an opportunity to filter back to lane 1, I did so (the ambulance already 4 or 5 cars ahead of me by now).

Bloody Sunny driver (I think) who was quite far behind on lane 1 saw me signal as I filter and quickly accelerated. Half my Forte already in the lane liao, and yet he was still accelerating as if he refuses to let me in and so please remember that at this point he was super near my ***, rather my Forte's Kaheng and also I have to speed abit to avoid being kiss by him, so I am near to the front car, which I remember was a black Mazda 3.

All of the Freaking sudden, all the cars infront including theMazda 3 jammed brake. I suspect it was because of the ambulance too, people trying to avoid it, we were all thesuper jam area on the PIE towards CTE (city). I only had 2 seconds to react, and I jam hard on my brakes. In a split second, I could see how close I was in relation to the Mazda 3, could feel it almost touching him.

Then......

CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

My guess is, ABS brake was initiated.

OMFG, still going to touch Mazda. So I as I did so, I saw a gap on my left and I steered a little towards the left lane. Luckily lane 2 driver behind (a Mercs) braked too, and I had sufficient space to avoid kissing any of those 2 cars with the front of my Forte. If I were to estimate, I would saw that I missed both cars by 2 to 3 inches each.

Luckily, as I was trying to avoid the bloody Sunny in the initial lane change, he did not kiss me in the end. Although I could not see how close he was from behind, I would saw that it was a near miss as well.

I almost got sandwich in the process. All you need is imagine It was a triangle and me being in the middle.

Anyway, since I manage to siam the incident, I have to credit our ABS for doing all the hard work.

Although I have been in e-brake situation before, the road was not wet can jam brake just activated the 4 disc brake. On a wet road however, ABS is activiated in such a situation.

So I have tested mine and know its working. Hope no one else get to test their's.

Roadsare wet these days, do drive safely.

Last edited by lukester on 16th November 2009, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Tested SX ABS braking system Empty Re: Tested SX ABS braking system

Post by longbow 16th November 2009, 11:35 pm

ABS should be CRRRKK____CRRRKK____CRRRKK lei, intervals inbetween
longbow
longbow

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 16th November 2009, 11:39 pm

yeah, its crrrrrk crrrrk crrrrrk bah.

typing CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK is easier, no need spacebar.

but can really feel the wheel being locked....
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by karabi 16th November 2009, 11:46 pm

Welcome to Singapore, where signal = sign to speed. =) I love my country.
karabi
karabi

Back to top Go down

Post by longbow 16th November 2009, 11:54 pm

hurhur you haven been to India or Paris, the traffic there is crazy
longbow
longbow

Back to top Go down

Post by KingJerry 17th November 2009, 1:37 am

Thank god nothing happened.

Next time better not tailgate.. Smile
KingJerry
KingJerry

Back to top Go down

Post by longbow 17th November 2009, 1:47 am

Usually when I signal to change lane I will observe to see if any of these low life road scums try to pull something funny before I start to swap lanes.
longbow
longbow

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 17th November 2009, 7:45 am

Good to hear that the brakes are solid in our car. Tested SX ABS braking system 332362

Most likely the Sunny driver slowed down because he could not intimidate you enough to not filter into lane 1, but considered it is peak hour on a busy "street", you should not have bothered to accelerate for the Sunny since the road in front is not cleared of traffic...

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritseye 17th November 2009, 8:35 am

Lucky nothing happened

This type of crap and idiotic drivers really inconsiderate, tink they own the whole road like that.

Seriously, why do these people act like this? Ego?
Spiritseye
Spiritseye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 17th November 2009, 8:45 am

maybe the sunny driver needs to be home since he needs to pee immediately...... and oso he paid so much money for his sunny thta he thinks he owns the road?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 17th November 2009, 8:46 am

anyway.... good thing ur ok luke... Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 17th November 2009, 8:56 am

Next Qn....

Does the EX have ABS on the drum brakes??

Or is the ABS applicable on the Disc brakes only?
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 17th November 2009, 9:08 am

joe, i am not sure about EX, but i think should have? At least for front wheels.

as for tailgate.... i dun practise that, just unfortunate when coming to the lane change...

but good thig forte design can take such abuse..
phew..
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 17th November 2009, 9:18 am

lukester wrote:joe, i am not sure about EX, but i think should have? At least for front wheels.

as for tailgate.... i dun practise that, just unfortunate when coming to the lane change...

but good thig forte design can take such abuse..
phew..

Sorry, didn't mean to post that Qn to you.... but was just thinking out loud kinda thing....

I mean... IMHO... with such testimony... I'm sure glad that I've chosen the SX over the EX...

No offense here to the rest if the folks who is driving the EX.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 17th November 2009, 10:03 am

hahaha, no worries joe, i know...

but anyway, no matter what car we drive, we have to becareful.

cos even if you have a merc, you are not careful you will also langa...

Tested SX ABS braking system 332362
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by liplip 17th November 2009, 11:20 am

ABS on drum brakes? Think no one can answer that... Tend to believe ABS is only a braking strategy and should not be dependent on what brake pads are used...

Drum brake disc brake makes little difference if you load the car with lots of people and barang, which is often the case... Best braking strategy is brake gradually to avoid induced vomiting for your kids and parents.

liplip

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 17th November 2009, 11:25 am

liplip wrote:ABS on drum brakes? Think no one can answer that... Tend to believe ABS is only a braking strategy and should not be dependent on what brake pads are used...

Drum brake disc brake makes little difference if you load the car with lots of people and barang, which is often the case... Best braking strategy is brake gradually to avoid induced vomiting for your kids and parents.

I think ABS is only applicable to disc...

As if I am not wrong, it works on the pistons that activates the calipers where the drum brakes works via "levers"...

But this is juz a guess... dun really have the time to do a research yet...
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightRider 17th November 2009, 11:28 am

i remembered once..when i was driving my old picanto....i signalled....to go into lane 1....a yellow sh*t honda jazz accelerated...he was quite a distance away...by then its too late...i'm 2/3 into the lane.....and he still squeeze in...and honked me

luckily i accelerated fully into lane 1 and quickly drive up and overtake the lorry which was on lane 2..previously in front of me....

the stupid jazz driver still stare at me for been faster than him...and wanted to race with me....siao...
KnightRider
KnightRider

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 17th November 2009, 11:50 am

just ignore tis kind of ppl.

i think we all have met with such situation and have to do whatever it is to avoid possible.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 17th November 2009, 11:51 am

joepele wrote:
liplip wrote:ABS on drum brakes? Think no one can answer that... Tend to believe ABS is only a braking strategy and should not be dependent on what brake pads are used...

As if I am not wrong, it works on the pistons that activates the calipers where the drum brakes works via "levers"...

so joe, your is OPC right? do you still ride your bike?

was wondering if bikers have such problem overtaking? kenna squeezed out by cars who dont give way?
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by KingJerry 17th November 2009, 12:03 pm

KnightRider wrote:i remembered once..when i was driving my old picanto....i signalled....to go into lane 1....a yellow sh*t honda jazz accelerated...he was quite a distance away...by then its too late...i'm 2/3 into the lane.....and he still squeeze in...and honked me

luckily i accelerated fully into lane 1 and quickly drive up and overtake the lorry which was on lane 2..previously in front of me....

the stupid jazz driver still stare at me for been faster than him...and wanted to race with me....siao...

In this kind of situation i'll usually just point middle finger at him. Twisted Evil
KingJerry
KingJerry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 17th November 2009, 12:54 pm

KingJerry wrote:
KnightRider wrote:i remembered once..when i was driving my old picanto....i signalled....to go into lane 1....a yellow sh*t honda jazz accelerated...he was quite a distance away...by then its too late...i'm 2/3 into the lane.....and he still squeeze in...and honked me

In this kind of situation i'll usually just point middle finger at him. Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_twisted

me.... i usually do flying kisses. and muaks........ just to irritate the hell out of the other driver..... Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_twisted
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 17th November 2009, 1:21 pm

lukester wrote:
joepele wrote:

so joe, your is OPC right? do you still ride your bike?

was wondering if bikers have such problem overtaking? kenna squeezed out by cars who dont give way?

Ya, I ride to work.

Errrmmm... personally, that's why I ride a bigger cc bike because of the torque and pick up.

Also... because of the color and look of the bike... usually I dun kenna disturb.
Even if they come and disturb me... they have to "catch" me first....

As for over taking... most 2A and above bikes can accelerate from 0-100km/h in under 7 sec... so not worried about over taking...

But ever kenna dumb drivers who dun check blind spot... but have to be more careful and have a super loud horn lor.

Very Happy
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Bed 17th November 2009, 2:10 pm

JuanST wrote:
KingJerry wrote:

In this kind of situation i'll usually just point middle finger at him. Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_twisted

me.... i usually do flying kisses. and muaks........ just to irritate the hell out of the other driver..... Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_twisted

Usually I will sginal to "test market". If I see the cars accelerate (which usually they do), I will let all the cars pass, even if the 1st car is quite a distance away. Eventually there will be 1 car that won't accelerate. Then I will step accelerator and filter. It's quite difficult to beat cars already on lane 1 and accelerating. Especially if you are behind a lorry runing below 70km/hr. To pick up to 90 to 140km/hr on lane 1 within second is impossible, unless the car is super light or super powerful.

When on lane 1 and running above 100km/hr, I also don't really like cars to cut into my lane, though most of the time I will let them cut. Then I have to step my brake hard to slow down to 80km/hr (Most of the time it's this speed by the time they cut in front of me).
Bed
Bed

Back to top Go down

Post by rickong 17th November 2009, 2:57 pm

The sunny might have been trying to follow the ambulance. Maybe the friend or relative etc. Or, it could just be a rude driver.

rickong

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 17th November 2009, 3:04 pm

i think for that, motorbike is definitely faster to switch lanes unlike cars..
Sad

as for sunny following ambulance, i doubt so, cos he was at least 6 cars away from ambulance, perhaps will have to stick with the assumption he is just rude.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 17th November 2009, 4:45 pm

driving golden rule : it is always the other guy who is stupid.... Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 17th November 2009, 4:49 pm

This type of people got some mental problem maybe. He scared of people hogging his road. To him the road is his until you drove infront to occupy it so he nees to accelerate to prevent people form being infront of him. Might be a case of control freak.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightRider 17th November 2009, 5:41 pm

aural wrote:

This type of people got some mental problem maybe. He scared of people hogging his road. To him the road is his until you drove infront to occupy it so he nees to accelerate to prevent people form being infront of him. Might be a case of control freak.

Or maybe his dun like a 1.1L car go infront of his 1.3L car....lucky I modded my air intake etc... he race also might lose to me....my old ride easy to squeeze.....he stared at me quiet long...i bochap...continue to drive at 110km/h after that.....and bochap him....
KnightRider
KnightRider

Back to top Go down

Post by aural 17th November 2009, 5:50 pm

KnightRider wrote:
aural wrote:

Or maybe his dun like a 1.1L car go infront of his 1.3L car....lucky I modded my air intake etc... he race also might lose to me....my old ride easy to squeeze.....he stared at me quiet long...i bochap...continue to drive at 110km/h after that.....and bochap him....

i also used to drive a small car, chevy spark. I know how tt feels. People see us no up one.
aural
aural

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightRider 17th November 2009, 5:51 pm

Ya....so when he try to catch up..i just drive 10km/h faster.....
KnightRider
KnightRider

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 17th November 2009, 6:22 pm

joepele wrote:Next Qn....

Does the EX have ABS on the drum brakes??

Or is the ABS applicable on the Disc brakes only?
ABS can be installed either on Disc brake or Drum brake.......it work by sensing the rotation of each wheel, if locking is detected (skidding) in any wheel, it will release the pressure in the brake line for that wheel hence releasing the brake and preventing any locking....
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 17th November 2009, 7:28 pm

Somehow I have a feeling from this article that ABS dun work on drum brakes.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/anti-lock-brake4.htm

Tested SX ABS braking system Antilock-brake-diagram
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Bed 18th November 2009, 12:38 pm

lukester wrote:i think for that, motorbike is definitely faster to switch lanes unlike cars..
Sad

as for sunny following ambulance, i doubt so, cos he was at least 6 cars away from ambulance, perhaps will have to stick with the assumption he is just rude.

Sunny driver is plain KiaSu. He afraid people cut him and hog him. Tested SX ABS braking system Icon_evil
Bed
Bed

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 18th November 2009, 4:40 pm

joepele wrote:Somehow I have a feeling from this article that ABS dun work on drum brakes.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/anti-lock-brake4.htm

wah very cheem, but good to know.

seems like they dun have information of drum with ABS
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by Two_Fingers 18th November 2009, 4:59 pm

Manual Car
Change to low gear like 3rd or 2nd quickly la, this e-brake is better than jamming your brakes

Auto Gear
Also can use the sportronic and change to low gear

Two_Fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 18th November 2009, 5:03 pm

sorry bro, no way down gear will be better, cos i probably wont save being knock in the situation i am in.

the down gear reaction time is too slow.

jam brake in appropriate situation of cos
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 18th November 2009, 5:19 pm

Two_Fingers wrote:Manual Car
Change to low gear like 3rd or 2nd quickly la, this e-brake is better than jamming your brakes

Auto Gear

In the first place... would anyone be fast enough to lower the gear before E-braking??

Further, how will lowering the gear help with E-braking?
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Two_Fingers 18th November 2009, 5:55 pm

lukester wrote:sorry bro, no way down gear will be better, cos i probably wont save being knock in the situation i am in.

the down gear reaction time is too slow.

jam brake in appropriate situation of cos

Maybe for auto i am not sure, tried on a auto toyota rav4 & camry with both down gear and brake, much faster. Of course human reaction time needs to be fast.

I am driving the manual and reaction time for me is okay, human wise n engine wise

This is the best e-brake as i think as jamming brakes might skid if road conditions not good, this is engine brake which drags the gear down to slow down the car.

Of course dun use it too often as i think it will spoil your gear box faster (maybe)

Two_Fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Two_Fingers 18th November 2009, 6:02 pm

joepele wrote:
Two_Fingers wrote:Manual Car

Auto Gear

In the first place... would anyone be fast enough to lower the gear before E-braking??

Further, how will lowering the gear help with E-braking?

Why not, at least i use them in emergency. I believe many others also use it too. If u not fast enough does not mean others not fast enough.

Down gear is engine brake, it slows down the car faster. If use together with brakes it slows downs pretty fast and very useful in the case of emergency...

Two_Fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 18th November 2009, 6:05 pm

lukester wrote:
joepele wrote:Somehow I have a feeling from this article that ABS dun work on drum brakes.

wah very cheem, but good to know.

seems like they dun have information of drum with ABS

This Pic show drum brake fitted with ABS :
Drum brake also has a piston which receive hydraulic pressure to operate the shoes......ABS work by regulating the hydraulic pressure to the piston.....
Tested SX ABS braking system Anti-lock-brake1
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 20th November 2009, 10:03 am

Phew... glad everyone is fine n nothing happened.... but really too many "road owner" here in town... somehow i keep getting the feeling that activating abs may spoil car faster..haaa.. (personally tested twice during turning some more... )

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 20th November 2009, 10:10 am

wah..

in what kinda situation did u test it?

mine only appear once since end June
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 20th November 2009, 10:23 am

Blind spot lor... turning into some road to find the opposite car fella right on me!! jam brake and steer to road kerb... then..sound creckkkkkk kicks in... after tat is middle finger time liao lo... haaaa... (no la..) but both time wet condition... not fast but guess tyre slip will activate that too?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 20th November 2009, 10:29 am

oh i see, my ABS was activated in wet condition too...

maybe usually 4 disc brakes enuff, but that day wet so ABS time
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 20th November 2009, 10:49 am

this morning almost hit an old honda.... he so impatient.... cut lane like he own the road....

i saw him tailgating me.... so i brake a bit... to tell him to keep distance....
then the toyota on my front right signalled he wants to go in...
so i slow down some more....wah,, next thing i know the honda oredi barrelling down and want to overtake.... his boot side by side with my front door.... and very close....

so no choice.... let him in else accident....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by KingJerry 20th November 2009, 12:38 pm

Juan got horn him? This kind of ******* warrants a horn + middle finger!
KingJerry
KingJerry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 20th November 2009, 12:41 pm

did just that and when i caught up with him signalled him to stop and talk.... but he pretend he did not hear my hella horn....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 20th November 2009, 1:35 pm

JuanST wrote:did just that and when i caught up with him signalled him to stop and talk.... but he pretend he did not hear my hella horn....

Most drivers are like that one la... when they are behind the wheel... they think they are king...

When ask them to come out to talk...

Like chicken like that.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Fransge 20th November 2009, 1:55 pm

haha, watch out for nissan sunny drivers, 8/10 are mad drivers, i also nearly bang the chevron divider at clementi ave 6. he just refuse to let me in even 1/2 my car is inside, so i jammed brake & nearly collided to the metal os the divider.
Fransge
Fransge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next