Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure?

+20
muff
Divine
Fortec
tish
keigo
saturnz^83
koayst
forte118
joepele
JuanST
melburn
Eviltrap
nothing
tiny
impact2001
FriesL
purple
Spiritseye
waypoint
lukester
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty How often do you need to check your tyrepressure?

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 12:27 am

was wondering how often do u guys/gal check ur tires?

I thought I don't need to check so often.
But just now I got some time, so decided to do a check.
to my horror it went from 220kpa to 135 each tire in 1 month.

think have to do it often but how often? no wonder FC got abit bad these days...
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty Re: How often do you need to check your tyrepressure?

Post by waypoint 27th July 2009, 12:28 am

Every time I top-up my tank...
waypoint
waypoint

Back to top Go down

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Empty Re: How often do you need to check your tyrepressure?

Post by Spiritseye 27th July 2009, 12:29 am

twice monthly...depends on how much u travel, really
Spiritseye
Spiritseye

Back to top Go down

Post by purple 27th July 2009, 12:30 am

will try to make an effort to check every 2 weeks.
FC really does get very bad with even just lesser 10kpa.
purple
purple

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 27th July 2009, 12:34 am

wah sounds like the kr tires compound is really bad.. micro leak?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 12:42 am

not sure, but once I went over a hump real hard, then I start to notice my FC drop.

Took me a few days, ok maybe 1 week, to go to the pump to check my pressure.

I think I am going to make an effort to pump petrol and check pressure liao.

Going to switch the petrol kiosk I go, because their air pump super old school I can't take it. haha... another reason why I am lazy to check previously.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by impact2001 27th July 2009, 12:43 am

Since i collect my car in end may, i yet to check my tire pressure.. lazy to do that..
impact2001
impact2001

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 12:47 am

yah, the lazy bug got the better of me too...
haha
but willdo it more often
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 27th July 2009, 1:40 am

Every time I top up my tank. I usually top up at night, so there's less people hogging the tire pump area.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by nothing 27th July 2009, 9:05 am

220 to 135 within 1 month? That's too fast liao..advise to send in to tires shop and check, maybe have some leaks somewhere....I have try not to pump for a mth, initially pumped 230 for all, check with gauge, dropped to 200 and 205.....135 is very low, physically can tell by looking at the profile of the tires...
nothing
nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 9:25 am

nothing wrote:220 to 135 within 1 month? That's too fast liao..advise to send in to tires shop and check, maybe have some leaks somewhere....I have try not to pump for a mth, initially pumped 230 for all, check with gauge, dropped to 200 and 205.....135 is very low, physically can tell by looking at the profile of the tires...

but the thing is cannot tell, not sure issit the setting at the petrol station, so when u plug in it will drop to 135 or what.

anyway I felt its way to exaggerated too.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 27th July 2009, 9:34 am

Normally even after 1 month of not pumping in my previous car (vios), my tire pressure would be 190-200kpa. For it to drop to 135kpa means there's a slow leak somewhere, probably a nail stuck in your tire. It's best you remove your tire to inspect it, maybe get a tire shop to do it for you. Otherwise the item stuck in your tire might slowly wear the hole bigger over time and the tire will be completely unpatchable.

tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 9:41 am

I agree with tiny. Something is definately wrong with your tyres. 220 to 135 means there's a leak. Unless someone has been quietly deflating your tyres to sabotage you.

Will recommend you to bring to a tyre shop to check.

My current ride had a similar problem before. I had to inflate twice per week to maintain the pressure. After I brought it to Stamford to be checked, the mechanic said that my tyre valve was loose, hence air was leaking. Since my tyres were almost 4 years old, hence I changed all of them.

The new tyres came with nitro gas. Hence I only had to reinflate them every few months. Even after 1 month of driving, the tyre pressure will more or less be constant.

I highly recommend you to inflate your tyres with nitro gas after you narrow down what's wrong. Good for lazy bums like us. lol!

However, Stamford offered me 15 bucks per piece of tyre if I switch my new ride's tyres to nitro gas, which equates to 60 bucks for 4 pieces! eeek I think that's extortion! But maybe can bargain. After that will be free top up all the time.
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by melburn 27th July 2009, 9:57 am

i usually pump everytime i refuel. Good to maintain the pressure as i travel alot, it improves my FC also.

Very Happy
melburn
melburn

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 27th July 2009, 10:18 am

lukester wrote:was wondering how often do u guys/gal check ur tires?

think have to do it often but how often? no wonder FC got abit bad these days...

just a clarification.... just one tire or all tires?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 10:22 am

You guys may wanna consider Nitrogen.

Cooler, lighter...

Leaks slower.

Once I used it... 1 month later still same pressure.

Good for long distance especially.

Msia pump is alot cheaper than SG.

*If I'm not wrong, Stamford... if you change tire there... can request for Nitrogen gas... also ask for free top up.
Smile
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 10:22 am

juansobrangtamad wrote:

All, cos you never know when you have a flat...

/ nail in ay of the tires.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by forte118 27th July 2009, 10:33 am

joepele wrote:You guys may wanna consider Nitrogen.

Cooler, lighter...

Leaks slower.

*If I'm not wrong, Stamford... if you change tire there... can request for Nitrogen gas... also ask for free top up.
Smile

bro, wat's the damage?

ps: i usually pump twice a mth...
forte118
forte118

Back to top Go down

Post by koayst 27th July 2009, 10:39 am

I tries to check every fornightly.

koayst

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 10:45 am

forte118 wrote:
joepele wrote:You guys may wanna consider Nitrogen.

Cooler, lighter...

Leaks slower.

Smile

bro, wat's the damage?

ps: i usually pump twice a mth...

In SG, some places charge about 30 - 40 bucks.

In Msia... it's about 1/2 that.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by saturnz^83 27th July 2009, 11:13 am

I check my tyre pressure every 2-3 weeks..
saturnz^83
saturnz^83

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 27th July 2009, 11:14 am

hmm I had not check mine yet... coming to a month... will go check mine soon...
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 11:28 am

keigo wrote:hmm I had not check mine yet... coming to a month... will go check mine soon...

I had a friend who got his car about 2 weeks earlier than me. After a few months of driving, I asked him whether he got buy any tire pressure gauge to measure his tyres. He gave me a blank look, and said, "Need to check one meh?"

I was absolutely dumbfounded. He confessed that he had never inflated his tyres before and didn't know how to do it.

So I brought my pressure gauge and tested all his tyres. They were ranging from 120 to 129! affraid

Hence we drove his car out to the nearest petrol station to inflate up all his tyres. Immediately, he said the driving was much better. lol!

One thing I have observed, this is just one of the practical things that we are not taught when we are learning driving. I believe they should overhaul the system, and introduce in some simple and practical car maintenence to all beginners. If not, all come out being a kuku and get into lots of trouble. grin
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 27th July 2009, 11:37 am

hmm... frankly.. i dont check my current ride tat often.. and it seems maintaining the pressure well.. (whenever i checked its always to the same pressure i last pumped..) only when i need some long travel.. then i re-gauge the pressure..
currently using Dunlo* Digi*702
do we really have to check that often.. or its the tyre issue by itself.. seriously.. every 2 weeks seems alot.. is this normal at all? any pro here could advise..this?

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by tish 27th July 2009, 11:38 am

actually no need to check pressure, coz after 2-3 weeks sure drop, just pump twice or once a month can le..
tish
tish

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 27th July 2009, 11:46 am

thanks bro tish..
thing is.. if pressure could drop by 40% its horrible in a months.. definitely something is wrong..
my current car (not forte) dun even drop 10% after not use for 1 months.. (very underutilized i know..)
This is worrying..

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by nothing 27th July 2009, 11:53 am

Another alternative is pump nitro at Harmony Wkshop at Jurong, if I am not wrong, he only charge $5 per tires and free top up....by far the cheapest that I know of....
nothing
nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 27th July 2009, 11:57 am

joepele wrote:
juansobrangtamad wrote:

joe, sorry... i think i was a bit unclear.... Embarassed
luke, ur problem on 1 tyre or on all 4 tyres?
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 11:59 am

FriesL wrote:hmm... frankly.. i dont check my current ride tat often.. and it seems maintaining the pressure well.. (whenever i checked its always to the same pressure i last pumped..) only when i need some long travel.. then i re-gauge the pressure..
currently using Dunlo* Digi*702
do we really have to check that often.. or its the tyre issue by itself.. seriously.. every 2 weeks seems alot.. is this normal at all? any pro here could advise..this?

I think checking very week, or every 2 weeks will depend on how much distance you cover in a day/week. The more distance you travel in a week, the higher your frequency of reinflating your tyres. From what I've read from MCF, and other car forums, getting a correctly inflated tyre is essential.

Got from here. Very informative.

UNDER INFLATION
Under inflation is the most common cause of failures in any kind of tire and may result in severe cracking, component separation or "blowout," with unexpected loss of vehicle control and accident. Under inflation increases sidewall flexing and rolling resistance resulting in heat and mechanical damage. Under inflation can cause can cause many tire-related problems. Since a tire's load capacity is largely determined by its inflation pressure, under inflation results in an overloaded tire. An under inflated tire operates at high deflection resulting in decreased fuel economy, sluggish handling and may result in excessive mechanical flexing and heat buildup leading to catastrophic tire failure. Additionally, the tire's tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to flex more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. This also results in a significant loss of steering precision and cornering ability.
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Image02
Wear On Both Edges: Cause... "UNDER INFLATION"

If your tire looks like this, it may be under inflated. Not having enough air in a tire is singly the worst thing you can do to a tire. Under inflation reduces tread life through increased tread wear on the outside edges (or shoulders) of the tire. It also generates excessive heat which reduces tire durability and can lead to tire failure. Finally, it reduces fuel economy through increased rolling resistance (soft tires make your vehicle work harder).
OVER INFLATION
If your tires are over inflated, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher. However, higher inflation pressures usually provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability up to a point.
Tire footprint and traction are reduced when van, pickup, or RV tires are over inflated for the loads carried. In particular, tires with aggressive tread patterns may contribute to over steer or "road-walk" if inflated beyond the inflation pressure specified in the owner's manual and vehicle placard for standard or customary loads. Over inflation also increases the chances of bruise damage.
How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Image03
Wear In Center: Cause... "OVER INFLATION"

When a tire has too much air in it, the center of the tread bears most of the load and wears out faster than the outside edges. If a tire wears unevenly, the useful life is reduced and conversely the operating cost is increased. Additionally stopping distances will be increased because less tread area is contacting the road surface.
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 12:17 pm

nothing wrote:Another alternative is pump nitro at Harmony Wkshop at Jurong, if I am not wrong, he only charge $5 per tires and free top up....by far the cheapest that I know of....

Wow!

That's a really good price!
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 27th July 2009, 1:08 pm

Some do it weekly, some fortnightly, some monthly and some do it daily!

What matter most is you do check them from time to time, generally the higher the frequency, the chances of you finding a problem is higher and thus rectifying it before the probem escalate..

Anyways, it takes less than 2-3mins to check and inflate/deflate ur tires. Laziness is not an excuse, if u can have the time to post here, u have the time to check ur tires Razz.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by keigo 27th July 2009, 1:10 pm

Fortec wrote:Some do it weekly, some fortnightly, some monthly and some do it daily!

What matter most is you do check them from time to time, generally the higher the frequency, the chances of you finding a problem is higher and thus rectifying it before the probem escalate..

Anyways, it takes less than 2-3mins to check and inflate/deflate ur tires. Laziness is not an excuse, if u can have the time to post here, u have the time to check ur tires Razz.

ok I go check every hour..... lol!
keigo
keigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 27th July 2009, 1:11 pm

keigo wrote:
Fortec wrote:Some do it weekly, some fortnightly, some monthly and some do it daily!

ok I go check every hour..... lol!

ZUN BO!?!?! later ur valves spoil haha.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 27th July 2009, 1:12 pm

hmmm nv pump since i got my car 2 mths ago using nitrogen.. then side wall still look well pumped so nv bother FC is also consistance. =)
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 3:12 pm

Anyway, please be very careful when you "pump" your tires.

Cos the nozzle is usually made of rubber and they tend to break after some time.

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Tire%20valve%201

I've got a friend who rides a goldwing and met with a really bad accident cos the valve gave way all of a sudden @ high speed.

Wife was thrown off the bike and suffered quite a bad head injury. Helmet was also smashed.

Anyway, if possible, change to those metal type.

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? Wuhuan818_104745

How often do you need to check your tyrepressure? 2007528115559_ALCOA%20TRUCK%20TUBELESS%20TIRE%20VALVE
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by FriesL 27th July 2009, 3:33 pm

oh, yes.. think the valve head could be the issue...
thanks joepele for highlighting...

FriesL

Back to top Go down

Post by joepele 27th July 2009, 5:22 pm

FriesL wrote:oh, yes.. think the valve head could be the issue...
thanks joepele for highlighting...

A simple test can be done...

Use some "soapy" water (When washing your car) and put it around the valve... if there is a leak, you'll see some bubbles.

For tire surface punctures...

It'll may take a couple of days for the air to leak out.
*Depending on the size of the hole.

As the tires that cars uses now a days are tubeless type...
They take a much longer time for the air to leak out.
*Cos the "walls" of those tires are thicker and actually holds the "nails" in place to prevent more air from leaking out.
Like first aid, when someone gets a puncture wound.... dun pull out the foreign object cos it's that object that's preventing the blood... (Air in this case) from leaking out.

So... when you get a nail puncture... dun be too worried...
1. The tires are designed to hold in the nails and can still last for some time before it needs to be pumped again.
2. the side walls of the tires are design to "hold" it's shape while the tires are "running" / spinning.

That's why many cars now a days dun have spare tires.
e.g. Honda Fit.
joepele
joepele

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 7:33 pm

juansobrangtamad wrote:
joepele wrote:
juansobrangtamad wrote:

joe, sorry... i think i was a bit unclear.... Embarassed
luke, ur problem on 1 tyre or on all 4 tyres?

Joe: My all four should be consistence.
I only saw 3 tires, the other one when I pump I cannot see too far rear left wheel, angle not good.

But since they are all same, I dun think its micro leak. I think normal deflation after 1 month.

Keigo you check yours, cos your also about 1 month liao.

Mine from wall cannot really tell the diff, I did a visual check last Tuesday only.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 9:12 pm

I've shaved off 0.5l/100km today after rectifying my tyre pressure.

now its back to 7.5l/100km for 1.SX(A) on original rims
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 27th July 2009, 9:38 pm

Meet an Avante owner at a workshop the other day.......he was showing me his electronic tire pressure sensor unit ($380 include installation). This tire pressure sensing unit comes with 4 sensors each fitted inside the special charging valve that will sense the pressure within the tire and send the signal to the indicator that is fitted inside the cabin. If pressure is below a preset value, the red indicator at the affected tire will blink & beep to warm user of low tire pressure....
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing. But so hi-tech. not suitable for me.
I think Shell suit me better.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortec 27th July 2009, 10:29 pm

muff wrote:Meet an Avante owner at a workshop the other day.......he was showing me his electronic tire pressure sensor unit ($380 include installation). This tire pressure sensing unit comes with 4 sensors each fitted inside the special charging valve that will sense the pressure within the tire and send the signal to the indicator that is fitted inside the cabin. If pressure is below a preset value, the red indicator at the affected tire will blink & beep to warm user of low tire pressure....

$380..... too much money to throw.
Fortec
Fortec

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 10:32 pm

muff wrote:Meet an Avante owner at a workshop the other day.......he was showing me his electronic tire pressure sensor unit ($380 include installation). This tire pressure sensing unit comes with 4 sensors each fitted inside the special charging valve that will sense the pressure within the tire and send the signal to the indicator that is fitted inside the cabin. If pressure is below a preset value, the red indicator at the affected tire will blink & beep to warm user of low tire pressure....

For S$380, I rather reinflate my tyres every week. It's a nice gadget, but not a must have/necessity. It's like the gauges I just recently sold away. Nice to have, but not a must-have. Very Happy
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by gackthoe 27th July 2009, 10:37 pm

Hey guys...

I got my car last month and after about 2 weeks, I pump the tires at
230 and realised that the original tire pressure was above that...
probably at 300, my guess... then after my first servicing, the
servicing staff pumped up my tire to above 230... i think forte's tires
can hit 300? max? anyone got any idea???
gackthoe
gackthoe

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 27th July 2009, 10:40 pm

me think the same too leh....charging tire is no sweat for me...so would rather keep my $$$ for other poison.... Very Happy
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 10:42 pm

gackthoe wrote:Hey guys...

I got my car last month and after about 2 weeks, I pump the tires at
230 and realised that the original tire pressure was above that...
probably at 300, my guess... then after my first servicing, the
servicing staff pumped up my tire to above 230... i think forte's tires
can hit 300? max? anyone got any idea???

I believe this thread can help you greatly. Very Happy

Welcome to the forum! By the way, I'm an outsider... No
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by Eviltrap 27th July 2009, 10:47 pm

muff wrote:me think the same too leh....charging tire is no sweat for me...so would rather keep my $$$ for other poison.... Very Happy

I also wanna go for some poison, but if my gf find out, which by the way she will, she will make sure I regret it for the rest of my life... eeek

I wanna change to 17" rims... No
Eviltrap
Eviltrap

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 27th July 2009, 11:05 pm

i wan change rims too... want lighter rims, but not must have also.
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by waypoint 28th July 2009, 12:13 am

Eh, don't liddat, lah! No such thing as an 'outsider' here. Just drivers who haven't realised how much of a bang for the buck the KIA Cerato Forte is, that's all...

No worries, Brah...

Eviltrap wrote:Welcome to the forum! By the way, I'm an outsider... No
waypoint
waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by lukester 4th August 2009, 9:59 am

i just pump my air after 1 week 1 day, ok its more like 8 days to be exact.
my tire pressure has dropped to 199 over a period of 8 days.

normal or abnormal?
lukester
lukester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next