Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» assay
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty4th August 2011, 10:13 pm by Guest

» APP Leading Website Generator
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty4th August 2011, 11:47 am by Guest

» check-up
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty4th August 2011, 10:03 am by Guest

» Blu-ray to iPad Ripper lift Blu glimmer DVD movies quest of iPad
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty4th August 2011, 8:24 am by Guest

» ubiquitous
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty4th August 2011, 6:07 am by Guest

» South african indian dating. Nz internet dating.
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty3rd August 2011, 8:57 pm by Guest

» WHAT CREEPY IDEA ON YOUTUBE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE YET?
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty3rd August 2011, 7:30 pm by Guest

» buy facebook fan f8
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty3rd August 2011, 3:15 pm by Guest

» division
First 1000km - How to run in? Empty3rd August 2011, 11:43 am by Guest

RSS feeds

MSN 

First 1000km - How to run in?

+21
Atlant1s
miko komi
nothing
BiG^rOn
unlimitedz
Divine
daleo
treysha
JuanST
ignxbp
howe
Leonard
Mrhandphone
Dummyhalf
DarkPrince
Ber
b0yc0tt
muff
alex86
samuelj
uncleleong
25 posters

Go down

First 1000km - How to run in? Empty First 1000km - How to run in?

Post by uncleleong 29th January 2010, 10:03 pm

Can I check what is the best way to condition the new forte for the first 1000km?
Some said shld not rev up RPM beyond 3, but others say new car nowadays no need to do so, in fact shld rev hard to program the car for more spirited performance in future.
Any advice pls?

uncleleong

Back to top Go down

First 1000km - How to run in? Empty Re: First 1000km - How to run in?

Post by samuelj 29th January 2010, 10:40 pm

My SE told me not to rev above 2000 rpm for new cars on the day of collection... My guess is to "condition" the car.

samuelj

Back to top Go down

Post by alex86 29th January 2010, 10:52 pm

just trust ur instincts Very Happy

alex86

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 29th January 2010, 10:52 pm

for me it is normal driving....if need be.... I'll juz step on it.....

but i'll not rev hard when the engine is still cold..... First 1000km - How to run in? Icon_biggrin
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by b0yc0tt 29th January 2010, 11:49 pm

I just follow what my SE told me... Rolling Eyes
b0yc0tt
b0yc0tt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ber 30th January 2010, 12:58 am

In the past, running in means not going above 80kph for 1st 1000km but SE said no need to maintain below 80kph for new cars. Just ensure no sudden rev-ing.

In any case, our manual has some guidelines for the run-in on page 1-4 e.g. keep rpm between 2000-4000rpm, varying engine speed. Never read your manual right...
Ber
Ber

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkPrince 30th January 2010, 1:53 am

Ber wrote:In the past, running in means not going above 80kph for 1st 1000km but SE said no need to maintain below 80kph for new cars. Just ensure no sudden rev-ing.

In any case, our manual has some guidelines for the run-in on page 1-4 e.g. keep rpm between 2000-4000rpm, varying engine speed. Never read your manual right...

sorry off topic.. ber, i saw ur car at the MU jus now.. ur rims are exact ones i wanted to get initially.. but too ex la.. u got it from chenjin?? whats the damage?
DarkPrince
DarkPrince

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkPrince 30th January 2010, 1:55 am

back to topic.. there are many ways to run in the engine.. i believe previously got others asking the same questions.. if you wan, can search the forum for these topics and get a better picture of how to do ur running in.. for me, i drive as per normal.. sometimes go up to 120km/h at malaysia.. haha.. jus make sure you warm up the engine in the morning before you drive off and no sudden acceleration.. Smile

pleasant driving!!
DarkPrince
DarkPrince

Back to top Go down

Post by uncleleong 30th January 2010, 7:08 am

Thks v much, I better go read the manual properly. Haha

uncleleong

Back to top Go down

Post by Dummyhalf 30th January 2010, 9:04 am

samuelj wrote:My SE told me not to rev above 2000 rpm for new cars on the day of collection... My guess is to "condition" the car.

i really cant imagine how your drive without hitting above the 2k rpm affraid
Dummyhalf
Dummyhalf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrhandphone 30th January 2010, 9:18 am

yea. not hitting above 2k rpm abit too hard for Sg driving. Probably a normal driving style without reving the engine suddenly will be adequate .
Hey, 1 question, someone mentioned to me earlier " shd use the ' best petrol, i.e Esso 8000, 98 series' for the 1st few tank to ' coat' the new engine for better performance/ combustion, any truth to it??"
Mrhandphone
Mrhandphone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dummyhalf 30th January 2010, 9:26 am

below 2k is very conservative and you will be like hogging on the road.

as for the petrol 95 is good enough. Got extra cash go ahead and filled it up with 98 or even V-power plus add on some addictives... hahahaha
Dummyhalf
Dummyhalf

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonard 30th January 2010, 9:40 am

hard run-in (:
did tat done tat ..
my dad and i both drop gear pretty constantly . of cuz , u better make sure there's not much car behind .
hope u're driving a manual car (:
i believe auto steptronic oso e same ?
Leonard
Leonard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ber 30th January 2010, 9:53 am

DarkPrince wrote:
Ber wrote:In the past, running in means not going above 80kph for 1st 1000km but SE said no need to maintain below 80kph for new cars. Just ensure no sudden rev-ing.

sorry off topic.. ber, i saw ur car at the MU jus now.. ur rims are exact ones i wanted to get initially.. but too ex la.. u got it from chenjin?? whats the damage?

sorry off topic, ya changed rims & tyres fr chenjin on the day I collected car. u all lah, poison me sia. PM u details cos not sure if it's alright to disclose here.
Ber
Ber

Back to top Go down

Post by howe 7th February 2010, 11:38 pm

I just keep it below 3k rpm + 100km/hr for 1st 1k. Going for my 1st servicing this week. Avoid sudden acceleration and deceleration.

If got time, let the idling engine rpm settle before driving off.

howe

Back to top Go down

Post by ignxbp 8th February 2010, 12:35 am

for me i just drive normal Razz easily reach 1k liaoz...
ignxbp
ignxbp

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th February 2010, 8:21 am

run in .... slowly....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by samuelj 8th February 2010, 3:28 pm

I tried not revving above 2k rpm... seriously jialat man~ I took like 25 secs to reach 100 kmph LOL!!! but now im trying not to rev above 3000 rpm.

samuelj

Back to top Go down

Post by treysha 8th February 2010, 3:35 pm

is is true that the car has not much power during 1st 1k run-in? my SX (A) is really struggling to climb slopes. use the steptronic to drop gear then got some power. some more only me and hubby in the car, not like got too many pple.

treysha

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th February 2010, 3:44 pm

treysha wrote:is is true that the car has not much power during 1st 1k run-in? my SX (A) is really struggling to climb slopes. use the steptronic to drop gear then got some power. some more only me and hubby in the car, not like got too many pple.

no.... i dun see any diff in power between run in and now..... except that i can rev more.... low end torque shud be the same....pls check if ur engine oil is overfilled .....
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrhandphone 8th February 2010, 4:13 pm

Hey ppl, din want to start a new thread but can side track abit?
Can we actually switch to Sportronic gear while the car is moving ( i.e. in D mode) or can we onli do it when the car is at a total stop?
Mrhandphone
Mrhandphone

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 8th February 2010, 4:15 pm

Mrhandphone wrote:Hey ppl, din want to start a new thread but can side track abit?
Can we actually switch to Sportronic gear while the car is moving ( i.e. in D mode) or can we onli do it when the car is at a total stop?

i think this has been discussed before and i think the answer was Yes.... you may want to search sportstronic.... First 1000km - How to run in? Icon_smile
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by treysha 8th February 2010, 4:35 pm

JuanST wrote:
no.... i dun see any diff in power between run in and now..... except that i can rev more.... low end torque shud be the same....pls check if ur engine oil is overfilled .....

thanks JuanST. i will check that. its strange cos even a 1.3 car seems to perform better on slopes compared to this forte of mine First 1000km - How to run in? Icon_sad First 1000km - How to run in? Icon_sad

treysha

Back to top Go down

Post by treysha 8th February 2010, 4:36 pm

Mrhandphone wrote:Hey ppl, din want to start a new thread but can side track abit?

yes! i've done that many times now. although hubby says i shouldnt, for some reasons. LOL...

treysha

Back to top Go down

Post by daleo 8th February 2010, 4:43 pm

My run-in is not to rev above 3K
daleo
daleo

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 8th February 2010, 4:57 pm

yes u can both mode uses the same set of gears so no harm done to the box.. but not R lolx
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrhandphone 8th February 2010, 6:04 pm

Ok , got that ppl. Thanks~ . will be driving up North during CNY, so need to know . haven't really been using sportstronic gear at all here . my neighbourhood is just ' full ' of traffic lights. cheers~ Very Happy
Mrhandphone
Mrhandphone

Back to top Go down

Post by unlimitedz 8th February 2010, 6:50 pm

Since TS started tis.. mind if i ask... wat if rev went up to 5k rpm?? car gg?? cylinder melt!?!? not necessary rite... red lines abv 6k rite... hmmmm....
unlimitedz
unlimitedz

Back to top Go down

Post by BiG^rOn 18th February 2010, 12:17 pm

Hi, sorry for bring up an old topic. I'm wondering if anyone went to reset their ECU after the run in period? Or is it even possible? If possible, what's the estimated damage?

Have relatives in Malaysia so I drive in there rather frequently. Just passed run-in period and my dad complains that the power comes very slowly. Wondering if its because of the run in period, that the ECU adapt to the way that I've been driving (conservatively, that is)?

BiG^rOn

Back to top Go down

Post by nothing 18th February 2010, 1:27 pm

power comes in slowly or stepping very gradually over the pedal....give it a hard stomp and see it unleash the power.....
nothing
nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by howe 18th February 2010, 7:48 pm

BiG^rOn wrote:Hi, sorry for bring up an old topic. I'm wondering if anyone went to reset their ECU after the run in period? Or is it even possible? If possible, what's the estimated damage?

Have relatives in Malaysia so I drive in there rather frequently. Just passed run-in period and my dad complains that the power comes very slowly. Wondering if its because of the run in period, that the ECU adapt to the way that I've been driving (conservatively, that is)?

ECU map is hardcoded, so there is no adaptive control over your driving pattern. Maybe your dad is used to older manual transmission cars.

howe

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 18th February 2010, 8:52 pm

howe wrote:
BiG^rOn wrote:Hi, sorry for bring up an old topic. I'm wondering if anyone went to reset their ECU after the run in period? Or is it even possible? If possible, what's the estimated damage?

ECU map is hardcoded, so there is no adaptive control over your driving pattern. Maybe your dad is used to older manual transmission cars.
Bro some bros here did ecu quick reflAsh for their ecu result the car response much better if ur interested u can reflash ur car at harmony motors
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by BiG^rOn 19th February 2010, 3:02 am

I see. Where is Harmony motors located? And what is the damage like?

My previous car was a Mazda 3 though.

BiG^rOn

Back to top Go down

Post by miko komi 19th February 2010, 4:33 am

Mazda 3 .. the car is lighter than forte, she use 15' rim compared to forte 17' rim. for sure she took off faster than forte at the traffic light.
Because ..because.. bcos there is a nice lady standing at the traffic light First 1000km - How to run in? Icon_wink
miko komi
miko komi

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 19th February 2010, 10:15 am

BiG^rOn wrote:I see. Where is Harmony motors located? And what is the damage like?

bro harmony motors is located at taman jurong and the reflash introductory price was only $400 last year now its 1000 plus.
Divine
Divine

Back to top Go down

Post by BiG^rOn 19th February 2010, 12:20 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's one big damage.

BiG^rOn

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlant1s 19th February 2010, 9:57 pm

BiG^rOn wrote:I see. Where is Harmony motors located? And what is the damage like?

dude, my previous ride was a Mazda3 too!
First 1000km - How to run in? 332362
Atlant1s
Atlant1s

Back to top Go down

Post by muff 19th February 2010, 10:09 pm

me too....
muff
muff

Back to top Go down

Post by BiG^rOn 20th February 2010, 2:50 am

muff wrote:me too....

Why sound so demoralized?

BiG^rOn

Back to top Go down

Post by zaf 20th February 2010, 4:25 pm

Divine wrote:

bro harmony motors is located at taman jurong and the reflash introductory price was only $400 last year now its 1000 plus.

Seriously. for $1000 plus, it is definitely not worth it. They did a refresh for my Trajet's ECU and honestly the power improvements were negligible. I paid $400 for it then. The $$$ can be better spent on other stuff.
zaf
zaf

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightRider 20th February 2010, 9:32 pm

harmony website got hacked by hacker lol
KnightRider
KnightRider

Back to top Go down

Post by Forte002 20th February 2010, 10:06 pm

Just drive normally or rev as you like for run in. No need to keep within 2 to 4K rpm. That is what 5 years unlimited warranty is for. 8)

Forte002

Back to top Go down

Post by livercat 21st February 2010, 9:22 pm

hi, for those are first time own a car, you have to run in for 5k and don't drive above 100km/h the best try to maintain at 80km/h. or your engin,gear and mechancial part will wear and break down not even 1 year time. my forte are the 8 car for me and i work as a technician in total oil pacific, that mfg engin oil, break oil, auto gear oil and also involve in rally car racing (rc) in asia pacific region. only change the engin oil to fully synthetic oil. (quart sm9000 5w-50) after 5000k service. if you see a white forte with liverpool FC banner on the back wind screen that me.
livercat
livercat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuanST 22nd February 2010, 7:51 am

livercat wrote:hi, for those are first time own a car, you have to run in for 5k and don't drive above 100km/h the best try to maintain at 80km/h. or your engin,gear and mechancial part will wear and break down not even 1 year time. my forte are the 8 car for me and i work as a technician in total oil pacific, that mfg engin oil, break oil, auto gear oil and also involve in rally car racing (rc) in asia pacific region. only change the engin oil to fully synthetic oil. (quart sm9000 5w-50) after 5000k service. if you see a white forte with liverpool FC banner on the back wind screen that me.

welcome.......
JuanST
JuanST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down